Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Replacing an operator of an angular momentum for a constant.

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1
    While dealing with a circling particle in an spherical symetric potential our professor said that we can replace an operator of ##z## component of angular momentum ##\hat{L}_z## with the expectation value - he denoted it just ##L_z## - of the angular momentum if ##L_z## is constant. Why is that?

So we first had this equation:

\begin{align}
    \underbrace{\psi (r,\varphi,\vartheta)}_{\rlap{\text{w. f. in spherical coordinates}}} &= \exp\left[\hat{L}_z \frac{i}{\hbar}\, \varphi\right] \underbrace{\psi (r,0,\vartheta)}_{\rlap{\text{w. f. in spherical. coordinates at $\varphi=0$}}}
    \end{align}

and we got this one (notice that there is no operator over an ##L_z##):

\begin{align}
    \psi (r,\varphi,\vartheta) &= \exp\left[L_z \frac{i}{\hbar}\, \varphi\right] \psi (r,0,\vartheta)
    \end{align}

Anyway here is the spherical coordinate system we ve been using all the time (the blue spherical aure is supposed to be a spherical potential...):

G8aUE.png

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2013 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

I think there should be imaginary unit inside the[ ] brackets. The first equation states that the function ##\psi## is analytic in ##\varphi##. The second equation states more than that: it says that the function behaves as ##e^{im\varphi}##, i.e. oscillates. Such functions are eigenfunctions of the angular momentum operator, if the number ##m = l_z/\hbar## is whole number.

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3
    You are soo right! I misstyped ##i## for ##1##. I corrected that mistake. I don't think i understand your explaination though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook