1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Replacing Lagrangian L with function f(L) for free particle

1. Dec 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If L is Lagrangian for a (system of) free particle(s) and dL/dt=0, show that any twice differentiable function f(L) gives the same equations of motions.

2. Relevant equations

Euler-Lagrange equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, after some calculation, I get [itеx] $\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{r}}-\frac{\partial f}{\partial r}=0$ [/itеx].

Can I conclude from this that f(L) gives the same equations of motion? If not, what should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2014 #2
    Well, in my Latex the command worked as should do. I don't know why in my previous message the equation didn't show up. :(

4. Dec 27, 2014 #3
    Substitute the lagrangian with f in the euler-lagrange equations. Then use chainrule.

5. Dec 28, 2014 #4
    Thank you for your suggestion. I already did that and got zero as a result. What should I conclude from that?

6. Dec 28, 2014 #5
    After that, you should get the same equations of motion except they are multiplied by [itex]f\prime(L)[/itex]. You have to then argue that you can divide out the [itex]f\prime(L)[/itex].

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted