Report shows gravity waves in clouds(?)

In summary: The article does a good job of explaining what these waves are and how they are generated. They are not identical to gravitational waves, which are disturbances in the curvature of spacetime created by massive acceleration.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
Report shows gravity waves in clouds
https://www.sciencealert.com/a-weat...rely-seen-gravity-waves-in-earth-s-atmosphere
This shows satellite images of what are being called gravity waves in clouds. There is an explanation of what happens in the example, using a timelapse 'movie'

Is this a nomen confusum - the same name for completely different phenomena? i.e., not LIGO. Could also be bad science reporting...

If it is it an evil twin name it definitely succeeded in confusing me. And my google searches.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a difference between gravity waves (weather) and gravitational waves(LIGO) :smile:

Likes davenn, jim mcnamara, sophiecentaur and 3 others
f95toli said:
There is a difference between gravity waves (weather) and gravitational waves(LIGO) :smile:
Waves on water are often referred to as gravity waves to distinguish them from the surface waves on solids.

Not bad reporting. They explicitly explain the difference in the article.

Well, thanks to weather satellites, now you can take a mighty gawk at atmospheric gravity waves that rippled out over Western Australia last week.

Not to be confused with gravitational waves, which are disturbances in the curvature of spacetime created by massive acceleration, gravity waves, also known as buoyancy waves, are a physical phenomenon where waves are generated in any fluid medium, such as waves at the beach, or ripples in a glass of water.

So any bad attaches to scientists who coined these confusing meanings, not the reporter.

"Well, thanks to weather satellites, now you can take a mighty gawk at atmospheric gravity waves that rippled out over Western Australia last week."
You don't have to go to exotic places like OZ to see them. I remember standing near the brow of a mountain in the Pyrenees (at about 2.5km altitude) and watching those waves on top of stratus clouds rolling towards me and 'breaking on the shore" at my feet (slo mo). I was delirious about it but there was no one to discuss it with at the time. At least the Astronauts have someone to share it with when they see them.

Likes anorlunda
Great answers. Thanks.

@anorlunda : I guess that was an equivalent experience to your blue water ones.

jim mcnamara said:
Summary: Report shows gravity waves in clouds

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-weat...rely-seen-gravity-waves-in-earth-s-atmosphere
This shows satellite images of what are being called gravity waves in clouds. There is an explanation of what happens in the example, using a timelapse 'movie'

Is this a nomen confusum - the same name for completely different phenomena? i.e., not LIGO. Could also be bad science reporting...

If it is it an evil twin name it definitely succeeded in confusing me. And my google searches.

And that articles opening statement is garbage ….
Rarely Seen Gravity Waves Captured Rippling in Earth's Atmosphere

MICHELLE STARR
28 OCT 2019

The atmosphere is fluid. This means it's subject to fluid dynamics, such as circulation, currents, and, yes, gravity waves. The atmosphere is always in motion, so these phenomena happen all the time; but actually seeing them is another matter.
They are not rare... in fact pretty common

Likes sophiecentaur and jim mcnamara

1. What are gravity waves in clouds?

Gravity waves in clouds are a type of atmospheric phenomenon that occur when air is forced upwards and then falls back down due to gravity. This creates a pattern of oscillations in the air, similar to ripples in water.

2. How are gravity waves in clouds detected?

Gravity waves in clouds can be detected using satellite imagery, weather radar, and atmospheric sensors. These instruments can measure changes in air pressure and temperature, which indicate the presence of gravity waves.

3. What causes gravity waves in clouds?

Gravity waves in clouds are primarily caused by disturbances in the atmosphere, such as wind shear, thunderstorms, or air flow over mountains. They can also be triggered by other factors such as volcanic eruptions or meteorite impacts.

4. Why are gravity waves in clouds important?

Gravity waves in clouds play a crucial role in shaping our weather and climate. They can influence cloud formation, precipitation patterns, and even the global circulation of the atmosphere. Studying them can help us better understand and predict weather patterns.

5. Can gravity waves in clouds be harmful?

In most cases, gravity waves in clouds are harmless and are simply a natural part of the atmosphere. However, they can occasionally cause turbulence for aircraft and disrupt satellite communications. Scientists continue to study their effects to better understand and mitigate any potential hazards.