Representation theory or algebraic topology

In summary, the official descriptions for the two courses that are available for next semester say that representation theory of Lie groups and Lie algebras is more essential to the academic goal, and that a course in Lie group/Lie algebra would be helpful.
Ivor Chen
Hello everyone, I'm a undergraduate at UC Berkeley. I'm doing theoretical physics but technically I'm a math major. I really want to study quantum gravity in the future. Now I have a problem of choosing courses. For next semester, I have only one spot available for either representation theory or algebraic topology. Both are graduate courses and I have substantial previous experiences on both subjects. I'm wondering which class is more essential to my academic goal. It's very sad that I cannot choose both at the same time due to scheduling problem. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, we will need to know the contents of the courses. In particular, does representation theory deal with finite groups, or with Lie groups/algebras or other? If it's representation theory of Lie groups/algebras then you will want this class for sure.

micromass said:
First, we will need to know the contents of the courses. In particular, does representation theory deal with finite groups, or with Lie groups/algebras or other? If it's representation theory of Lie groups/algebras then you will want this class for sure.
Typically, the official description of the course on representation theory is "structure of finite dimensional algebras, applications to representations of finite groups, the classical linear groups"; and the official description of the course on algebraic topology is "Fundamental group and covering spaces, simplicial and singular homology theory with applications, cohomology theory, duality theorem. Homotopy theory, fibrations, relations between homotopy and homology, obstruction theory, and topics from spectral sequences, cohomology operations, and characteristic classes".

So are you saying that the more essential knowledge for quantum gravity research is representation theory on lie groups? If so, will a course in lie group/lie algebra be helpful?

Our school's description of the course on lie algebra is "Lie groups and Lie algebras, fundamental theorems of Lie, general structure theory; compact, nilpotent, solvable, semi-simple Lie groups; classification theory and representation theory of semi-simple Lie algebras and Lie groups, further topics such as symmetric spaces, Lie transformation groups, etc., if time permits. In view of its simplicity and its wide range of applications, it is preferable to cover compact Lie groups and their representations in 261A"

Thank you very much!

Yes, I know representation theory of Lie groups and Lie algebras is quite important in this type of theoretical research. So the course you mentioned at the end might be very useful to you. Do consider 261A too.

micromass said:
Yes, I know representation theory of Lie groups and Lie algebras is quite important in this type of theoretical research. So the course you mentioned at the end might be very useful to you. Do consider 261A too.
Thanks a lot

1. What is representation theory?

Representation theory is a branch of mathematics that studies how algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and algebras, can be represented by linear transformations of vector spaces. It provides a powerful tool for understanding the structure and behavior of these abstract objects by studying their concrete realizations as matrices or operators on vector spaces.

2. What is the importance of representation theory?

Representation theory has many applications in mathematics, physics, and other fields. It is used to classify and study algebraic structures, to understand symmetry in geometric objects, and to solve problems in number theory and combinatorics. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and mathematical physics.

3. What is the difference between finite and infinite-dimensional representations?

A finite-dimensional representation is one in which the underlying vector space has a finite dimension. This is the case for most examples studied in introductory representation theory. In contrast, an infinite-dimensional representation is one in which the vector space has an infinite dimension, and these representations often arise in more advanced topics such as Lie theory.

4. How is representation theory related to algebraic topology?

Representation theory and algebraic topology are both branches of abstract algebra, and they have many connections to each other. In particular, the representation theory of topological groups, such as the fundamental group of a space, can be studied using techniques from algebraic topology. On the other hand, representation theory can also be used to study topological objects, such as the symmetries of topological spaces.

5. What are some real-world applications of representation theory and algebraic topology?

Representation theory and algebraic topology have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, they are used in quantum mechanics to describe the symmetries of particles and in signal processing to analyze data. They also have applications in computer graphics and computer vision for understanding the symmetries and structures of digital images and 3D models.