1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Representing a curve with a vector valued function

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attached image

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Why use x=2sint??

Would it be incorrect to use the x=2cost (versus the given x=2sint)? My professor instructed us to not use the given parameters in the book and to come up with our own, and I would of used x=2cost which would of changed the resulting vector-valued function (Resulting in r = 2Cos(t)i+2Sin(t)j+4Cos2tk)

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Either one is fine. The difference between the two is also the same thing as changing the parameter t into pi/2-t. Do you see why?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  4. Sep 21, 2010 #3
    I understand the identity sin(t)=cos[(pi/2)-t], but I really don't see why using either parameters x=2sint or x=2cost is equivalent. The book wants me to use x=2sint, wouldn't the equivalent then be actually x=2cos([(pi/2)-t]) ? Thanks

5. Sep 21, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If r(t) is a curve then r(a-t) represents the same curve. It goes through the same points, just at different values of t.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook