1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of a Quadric Surface and a Plane in 3-D

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    1. "Find the equation that describes the intersection of the quadric given by [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/itex] with the plane [itex]x + y + z = 1[/itex]."

2. Parametric equations for elliptic curve: [itex]x = a cos(t)[/itex] , [itex]y = b sin(t)[/itex] , z = ?

3. Surface is an [EDIT: right circular] cylinder. Plane is not parallel to xy plane, has some increasing z and will not cut a circle in the cylinder. Curve of intersection of plane and elliptic cylinder will result in an elliptic curve.

3a. My first approach would be to plug in [itex]a cos(t)[/itex] and [itex]b sin(t)[/itex] for x and y respectively in the [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/itex] equation.

[itex](a cos(t))^2 + (b sin(t))^2 = 4[/itex] ---> [itex]a^2(cost)^2 + b^2(sint)^2 = 4[/itex] ---> [itex]\frac{a^2(cost)^2}{4} + \frac{b^2(sint)^2}{4} = 1[/itex] ---> a = b = 2 --> [itex]x = 2cost[/itex] and [itex]y = sint[/itex]

This step confuses me since I would think that because the curve is elliptic, the a and b coefficients would differ.

3b. My second step would be to rearrange the equation of the plane to be some z = x + y + c to find the parametric equation for z.

[itex]x + y + z + (- x - y) = 1 + ( - x - y)[/itex] ---> [itex]z = - x - y + 1[/itex] ---> [itex]z = - (2cost) - (2sint) + 1[/itex]

3c. Last step would be to combine everything into parametric equations.

[itex]x = 2cos(t)[/itex] , [itex]y = 2sin(t)[/itex] , [itex]z = - 2sin(t) - 2cos(t) + 1[/itex].

I think I have the right idea, but any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is wrong. [tex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex] is the equation of a circular cylinder. It can be written as x= 2cos(t), y= 2 sin(t). Yes, its intersection with the tilted plane will be an ellipse but that is not relevant here.

The plane, x+ y+ z= 1 can be written 2cos(t)+ 2sin(t)+z= 1 so that z= 1- 2cos(t)- 2sin(t).
    And that gives the parametric equations describing the intersection:
    x= 2cos(t)
    y= 2sin(t)
    z= 1- 2cos(t)- 2sin(t).

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3
    Thank you. Don't know why I typed elliptic cylinder. I think I understand why it doesn't matter that a doesn't equal b. Since the curve of intersection is tilted by the z component anyways, it's going to be an ellipse. If the z parametric equation wasn't in effect, the curve would be a circle. I think this makes sense. Is my overall logic and procedure sound?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted