1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representing a graph by a Vector-Valued Function

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch the space curve represented by the intersection of the surfaces. Then represent the curve by a vector-valued function using the given parameter.

2. Relevant equations
    z = x^2 + y^2, x + y = 0, x = t

3. The attempt at a solution
    Space curve sketched (elliptic paraboloid corresponding to z-axis)
    Vector valued function: x = t, y = -t; z = t^2 + (-t)2; z = 2t^2; r(t) = ti - tj + 2t^2k

**Intersection of the surface, not sure how to obtain this. I have the feeling once I get it I'm gonna be shaking my head for having forgotten something. So I've tried setting
    x^2 + y^2 = x + y
    tried substituting in t for x and y values
    tried reverse engineering what I'm supposed to do with the answers plugged in to the equations.
    tried finding x int, y int, and z int.

Just don't know how to procede. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x=t and x+y=0, what is y in terms of t? Now what is z in terms of t? It is really simple.

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3
    I already have the vecor valued function. I'm looking for the points of intersection. How do I find that the surfaces intersect at ((root2), -(root2), 4)?

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You already have the curve that represents the intersection of the two surfaces. The point you give is just one point on that intersection curve. (1,-1,2) is another. There are an infinite number of them, every value of t gives a different one. Are you intersecting that curve with something else that makes t=sqrt(2) special?

6. Oct 1, 2012 #5
    ok thanks. Sounds like I wasted a lot of my time, and potentially yours as well as some bandwidth. Thanks again for your time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook