Representing a graph by a Vector-Valued Function

• Thread starter opaquin
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Sketch the space curve represented by the intersection of the surfaces. Then represent the curve by a vector-valued function using the given parameter.

Homework Equations

z = x^2 + y^2, x + y = 0, x = t

The Attempt at a Solution

Space curve sketched (elliptic paraboloid corresponding to z-axis)
Vector valued function: x = t, y = -t; z = t^2 + (-t)2; z = 2t^2; r(t) = ti - tj + 2t^2k

**Intersection of the surface, not sure how to obtain this. I have the feeling once I get it I'm gonna be shaking my head for having forgotten something. So I've tried setting
x^2 + y^2 = x + y
tried substituting in t for x and y values
tried reverse engineering what I'm supposed to do with the answers plugged in to the equations.
tried finding x int, y int, and z int.

Just don't know how to procede. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Sketch the space curve represented by the intersection of the surfaces. Then represent the curve by a vector-valued function using the given parameter.

Homework Equations

z = x^2 + y^2, x + y = 0, x = t

The Attempt at a Solution

Space curve sketched (elliptic paraboloid corresponding to z-axis)
Vector valued function: x = t, y = -t; z = t^2 + (-t)2; z = 2t^2; r(t) = ti - tj + 2t^2k

**Intersection of the surface, not sure how to obtain this. I have the feeling once I get it I'm gonna be shaking my head for having forgotten something. So I've tried setting
x^2 + y^2 = x + y
tried substituting in t for x and y values
tried reverse engineering what I'm supposed to do with the answers plugged in to the equations.
tried finding x int, y int, and z int.

Just don't know how to procede. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

If x=t and x+y=0, what is y in terms of t? Now what is z in terms of t? It is really simple.

I already have the vecor valued function. I'm looking for the points of intersection. How do I find that the surfaces intersect at ((root2), -(root2), 4)?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I already have the vecor valued function. I'm looking for the points of intersection. How do I find that the surfaces intersect at ((root2), -(root2), 4)?

You already have the curve that represents the intersection of the two surfaces. The point you give is just one point on that intersection curve. (1,-1,2) is another. There are an infinite number of them, every value of t gives a different one. Are you intersecting that curve with something else that makes t=sqrt(2) special?

ok thanks. Sounds like I wasted a lot of my time, and potentially yours as well as some bandwidth. Thanks again for your time.