1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representing Velocity, Acceleration, and Jerking as compressional waves.

1. Jan 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\vec{Velocity}[/tex] = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Displacement/[tex]\Delta[/tex]Time
    [tex]\vec{Acceleration}[/tex] = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Velocity/[tex]\Delta[/tex]Time
    [tex]\vec{Jerk}[/tex] = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Acceleration/[tex]\Delta[/tex]Time

Represent the above as compressional waves. Define their frequency and amplitude as functions.

2. Relevant equations
    See above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    No clue what the hell my teacher is talking about... I think he means like amplitude would be Acceleration * Time, and Frequency would be 1 / Time, but I don't know.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2009 #2
    Hmm, well the wave equation governing compressional waves is:

[tex]\bigtriangleup \Theta - \frac{1}{c_c^2}\frac{\partial ^2\Theta}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

Where [tex]\Theta[/tex] is the divergence of the displacement field, and [tex]c_c^2=\frac{2\mu+\lambda}{\rho}[/tex] (\mu and \lambda are the lame constants.)

But exactly what does your teacher want with the question?

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3
    Isn't that transverse waves? I'm doing poorly in physics...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?