REQ Solution to differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution for the equation y''y^2=c, with one person suggesting multiplying by y' to integrate both terms of the new equation. However, there is uncertainty about whether or not there is an analytical answer.
Kurret
Find the solution to [tex]\frac{c}{y^2}+k=y''[/tex]

I have not started with differential equations yet, so i hav eno idea if its possible to solve, but i stumbled upon it when investigating a physics idea i got. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
uhm, could anyone just leave a comment if its possible to solve or not?

well we can first sketch a solution for y''=k which is y=kx^2/2+Ax+B
but for: y''y^2=c I don't think there's an analytical answer.

Multiply by y' and you'll be able to integrate both terms of the new equation.

bigubau said:
Multiply by y' and you'll be able to integrate both terms of the new equation.
How?? Cant make it work...

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to describe and predict the behavior of systems that involve change over time or space.

2. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the function that satisfies the equation and can be used to model and understand the behavior of the system being studied.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) contains only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) contains multiple independent variables. ODEs describe systems that change over time, while PDEs describe systems that change over both time and space.

4. What is a "REQ solution" to a differential equation?

A "REQ solution" refers to a particular type of solution to a differential equation, which stands for Reduction of Order with Equimultiple Quadrature. It involves reducing the order of the equation and using equimultiple quadrature to solve for the remaining unknown function.

5. How do you check if a given function is a solution to a differential equation?

To check if a given function is a solution to a differential equation, you can substitute the function into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Alternatively, you can take the derivatives of the function and see if they match the derivatives in the equation.