Requesting help with Potential and Kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of potential and kinetic energy in regards to a ball rolling up and down a ramp. It is noted that when the ball is first pushed, it gains kinetic energy which is gradually converted to potential energy as it moves up the ramp. At the top of the ramp, the ball has only potential energy. It is also mentioned that even before the force is applied, the ball has gravitational potential energy due to its height. The conversation also touches on the conservation of energy and how it applies to the ball's motion.
soccer5454
Hello PF. I have a question on a concept of Potential and Kinetic energy. So for this let's take a ramp and a ball at the bottom. If I apply a force on the ball to make it go up the ramp, when it starts to move it will gain kinetic and potential gravitational ( I think ) but what about at the very top. Will it just be gravitational-potential? Also at the ground before a force is applied, does it have any energy, thanks!

Attachments

• 20151214_162704.jpg
    20151214_162704.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 307
Physics news on Phys.org
If you first hit the ball, it will gain kinetic energy. As it goes up the ramp, the kinetic energy will gradually be converted to gravitational potential energy. When it stops, it has indeed only potential energy. As it rolls back down, the process is reversed.

Before the force is applied, it has gravitational potential energy: if you were to make a hole under the ball, it would fall. But it of course has less gravitational potential energy than when it is up the ramp.

But I thought that it can only have gravitational potential energy if it has height..also I don't understand how it is able to start off that that much kinetic energy right from the beginning :(

soccer5454 said:
But I thought that it can only have gravitational potential energy if it has height..also I don't understand how it is able to start off that that much kinetic energy right from the beginning :(
Unless it is at the center of the Earth, it has height :smile:

The amount of kinetic energy it will have depends on how much force is applied for how long of a time. You must know by experience how much of a push you need to give to a ball to get it up a ramp.

DrClaude said:
Unless it is at the center of the Earth, it has height :smile:

The amount of kinetic energy it will have depends on how much force is applied for how long of a time. You must know by experience how much of a push you need to give to a ball to get it up a ramp.
Ohhhh I get it, so if I just put a pencil on the table and don't touch it, it still has gravitational potential energy right?

soccer5454 said:
Ohhhh I get it, so if I just put a pencil on the table and don't touch it, it still has gravitational potential energy right?
Right. Just remove the table and you'll see.

DrClaude said:
Right. Just remove the table and you'll see.
Awesome, thanks! :)

I should probably clarify that for what is important for the vast majority of problems is the change in gravitational potential energy. Therefore, for convenience, you could take the table to be at the zero of energy (height = 0), and work from that, not having to consider the additional potential energy from the height of the table, which would cancel out in the end. Likewise, for the setup you posted, one would most often take the ball at the base of the ramp to have no gravitational potential energy for the purpose of studying its motion up and down the ramp.

Don't worry so much about the initial force applied, only consider the ball after the force is applied. Considering Newton's First law of motion, an object at rest will stay at rest or in motion until a force is acted upon it. When you apply a push to the ball to go up the ramp, you apply a force to give it an initial velocity, but once you let go of the ball, the force become irrelevant because you are no longer applying a force on the ball, thus we only need to consider the ball after you push it.

As the ball goes up the ramp, it has some initial velocity and is deaccelerating because there is a net force of gravity acting on it, causing the ball to slow down until it eventually stops and falls back to Earth.

Consider the conservation of energy here:
When you first push the ball, it is has kinetic energy, and as it travels up, some height h, it converts that kinetic energy into potential energy, and when it reaches the top it has all of its energy stored in potential, but as it falls back towards the Earth, it gains speed due to the acceleration of gravity and that potential energy is converted back into Kinetic energy. So it doesn't matter what height you start above the Earth, energy is always conserved.

Remember that:
\begin{equation}
\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \Delta mgh
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
\Delta KE = \Delta PE
\end{equation}

Dopplershift said:
Don't worry so much about the initial force applied, only consider the ball after the force is applied. Considering Newton's First law of motion, an object at rest will stay at rest or in motion until a force is acted upon it. When you apply a push to the ball to go up the ramp, you apply a force to give it an initial velocity, but once you let go of the ball, the force become irrelevant because you are no longer applying a force on the ball, thus we only need to consider the ball after you push it.

As the ball goes up the ramp, it has some initial velocity and is deaccelerating because there is a net force of gravity acting on it, causing the ball to slow down until it eventually stops and falls back to Earth.

Consider the conservation of energy here:
When you first push the ball, it is has kinetic energy, and as it travels up, some height h, it converts that kinetic energy into potential energy, and when it reaches the top it has all of its energy stored in potential, but as it falls back towards the Earth, it gains speed due to the acceleration of gravity and that potential energy is converted back into Kinetic energy. So it doesn't matter what height you start above the Earth, energy is always conserved.

Remember that:
\begin{equation}
\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \Delta mgh
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
\Delta KE = \Delta PE
\end{equation}
Thank you so much :))

What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is stored energy that an object possesses due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How can I calculate potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared, and h is the height in meters. Kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object in kilograms and v is the velocity in meters per second.

What are some examples of potential and kinetic energy?

Examples of potential energy include a stretched spring, a raised object, and chemical energy stored in a battery. Examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, and thermal energy in a hot object.

How are potential and kinetic energy related?

Potential and kinetic energy are related because potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. When an object falls, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. When an object is lifted, its potential energy increases and its kinetic energy decreases.

What are some real-life applications of potential and kinetic energy?

Potential and kinetic energy are used in many everyday objects and activities. For example, potential energy is used in roller coasters, wind turbines, and dams. Kinetic energy is used in cars, planes, and sports equipment such as a basketball or a tennis racket.