Required change in pressure to change volume

But you still have to pay attention to the units.You can use the bulk modulus to compute the pressure needed to change the volume by 0.10%, but you have to be careful with the units.B = ΔP/(ΔV/V)In summary, to calculate the pressure needed to compress the volume of an iron block by 0.10%, you can use the bulk modulus of iron by using the formula ΔP = B(ΔV/V), but you must be careful to use the correct units.
ryan.howie

Homework Statement

How much pressure is needed to compress the volume of an iron block by 0.10%?

Homework Equations

the bulk modulus of iron= 9*10^10
delta_P= B*Vo/delta_V

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using random volume for example 1 and 0.01, and 2 and 0.02 but i feel i am way off.

Physics news on Phys.org
ryan.howie said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

the bulk modulus of iron= 9*10^10
delta_P= B*Vo/delta_V

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using random volume for example 1 and 0.01, and 2 and 0.02 but i feel i am way off.

Welcome to PF.

Why do you feel you are way off?

Note though that B = ΔP/(ΔV/V)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/permot3.html#c1

They give you already that ΔV/V = .1%

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply,

so ΔP=B(ΔV/V)
and B=9*10^10
and as you said ΔV/V=1%
so the change in pressure should be 1% of B which 9*10^8 N/m^2
but this is one of my previous answers and is wrong.

ryan.howie said:
Thanks for the welcome and quick reply,

so ΔP=B(ΔV/V)
and B=9*10^10
and as you said ΔV/V=1%
so the change in pressure should be 1% of B which 9*10^8 N/m^2
but this is one of my previous answers and is wrong.

Reread the problem statement, and my statement again.
They give you already that ΔV/V = .1%

Sorry that was a stupid mistake. The pressure needed should be 9*10^7. thanks you for your help:smile:

ryan.howie said:
Sorry that was a stupid mistake. The pressure needed should be 9*10^7. thanks you for your help:smile:

Let's be more generous and call it careless.

As they say:

Careless happens.

What is the relationship between pressure and volume?

The relationship between pressure and volume is known as Boyle's Law. It states that at a constant temperature, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as one increases, the other decreases and vice versa.

How does changing pressure affect volume?

Changing pressure can affect volume by compressing or expanding a gas. If the pressure is increased, the volume will decrease and if the pressure is decreased, the volume will increase. This is because the particles in a gas are more closely packed at higher pressures, taking up less space.

What is the formula for calculating required change in pressure to change volume?

The formula for calculating required change in pressure to change volume is P1V1= P2V2, where P1 and V1 represent the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 represent the final pressure and volume. This formula is based on Boyle's Law and is used to determine the relationship between pressure and volume changes.

How does temperature affect the required change in pressure to change volume?

Temperature affects the required change in pressure to change volume by influencing the speed of gas particles. As temperature increases, the particles move faster and collide more frequently, resulting in higher pressure and smaller volume. At lower temperatures, the particles move slower and collide less frequently, resulting in lower pressure and larger volume.

What is an example of a real-world application of required change in pressure to change volume?

An example of a real-world application of required change in pressure to change volume is in scuba diving. As a diver descends deeper into the water, the pressure increases, causing the volume of air in their scuba tank to decrease. To maintain a consistent volume of air for breathing, the diver must adjust the pressure in their tank accordingly by using a regulator. This is based on Boyle's Law and ensures that the diver can breathe comfortably at different depths.