Volume Change by Pressure: How Does Pressure Affect the Volume of an Object?

In summary: M=25kg ρ=m/vv=1.294 * 10^-3 m³ density of gold ρ= 19320 kg/m³In summary, the volume of the coin changes when it is at a depth of 5000m due to pressure. Volume change by pressure is greater than volume change by temperature.
robax25

Homework Statement

It is necessary to calculate the volume of the coin which has mass 25 kg and how does change its volume when it is necessary to calculate its volume at a depth of 5000m. Compare volume change by pressure with the volume change by pressure with the Volume change by temperature.

Homework Equations

volume at surface, M=25kg ρ=m/v
v=1.294 * 10^-3 m³ density of gold ρ= 19320 kg/m³

The Attempt at a Solution

v=1.294 * 10^-3 m³[/B]
I do not know how to calculate the volume at a depth of 5000m but I have pressure at a depth of 5000m.It is 50.3604 MPA. Now I need to find out Temperature using Pressure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not told the temperature? Then how are you supposed to determine it?

Actually I need the volume at a water depth of 5000m . I can use Boyle's law to calculate Volume and charl's law to calculate Temperatur

I do not how to proceed

robax25 said:
Actually I need the volume at a water depth of 5000m . I can use Boyle's law to calculate Volume and charl's law to calculate Temperatur
You are dealing with a solid, not a gas.

Do you know the equation for the volume change of a solid as a function of the temperature change and the pressure change?

Sorry, I don't know

robax25 said:
Sorry, I don't know
Do you have a textbook? Otherwise, Google "Bulk compressibility" and "Volumetric thermal expansion."

L=αLT however, I do not know the temperature

robax25 said:
L=αLT however, I do not know the temperature
That's the coefficient of linear thermal expansion. The coefficient of volume expansion is 3 x as high.

I guess you need to look up the temperature of the ocean at a depth of 5000 m.

I get it 3 degree Celsius

Sorry, I learned this formula in structural Mechanics course but I forget it.

here I know only volume and how to proceed?

how can I calculate the volume at a water depth 5000m?

sorry, I get it but How to calculate volume change by pressure?

robax25 said:
sorry, I get it but How to calculate volume change by pressure?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulk_modulus
Note, however, that there it quite correctly defines it as response to a small change in pressure. This is because, in principle, the modulus depends on the pressure, so what works for a small change won't work for a large one. But I think you'll have to overlook that subtlety.

1. What is volume change due to pressure?

Volume change due to pressure is the change in the size or amount of space occupied by a substance when pressure is applied to it. This can occur in both gases and liquids.

2. How does pressure affect volume?

According to Boyle's Law, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure at a constant temperature. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases and vice versa.

3. What are some real-life examples of volume change due to pressure?

One example is when a balloon is inflated, the volume increases as the pressure inside the balloon increases. Another example is when a scuba diver descends deeper into the ocean, the pressure increases and the volume of their lungs decreases.

4. Can volume change due to pressure be reversed?

Yes, volume change due to pressure can be reversed. If the pressure on a substance is reduced, its volume will increase. This can be seen when a balloon is deflated or when a scuba diver ascends to the surface.

5. How is volume change due to pressure used in industries or research?

Volume change due to pressure is used in various industries and research fields, such as in the production of compressed gases, in chemical reactions, and in the study of the behavior of materials under different pressures. It is also important in understanding the effects of pressure on living organisms, such as in diving medicine.