Required force to stop a moving object.

• Thread starter aziiri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: Since the object is brought to a stop, its final momentum is 0, and the impulse (change in momentum) is equal to the force multiplied by the time it acts for. Therefore, F*t=m*v. Plugging in the given values, we get F= (6kg)(10m/s)/30s = 2N.In summary, the man exerted a force of 2N on the 6kg object to stop it in 30 seconds. This can also be calculated using the impulse-momentum theorem, where the force is equal to the change in momentum divided by the time it acts for.
aziiri

Homework Statement

A solid object of 6kg was moving at a constant speed of 10m/s towards a man who try to stop it.
If the man stopped the train in 30 seconds, find the force F that the man exerted on the object.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only force acting on the object is the man's force so : ma=-F, this means that : v(t)=v(0)-F t /m.
We know that v(30)=0, which means that : F= m*v(0)/30 = 2.

Is my solution correct ? (I don't have anyone to ask him so I'm asking you).

Physics news on Phys.org
aziiri said:

Homework Statement

A solid object of 6kg was moving at a constant speed of 10m/s towards a man who try to stop it.
If the man stopped the train in 30 seconds, find the force F that the man exerted on the object.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only force acting on the object is the man's force so : ma=-F, this means that : v(t)=v(0)-F t /m.
We know that v(30)=0, which means that : F= m*v(0)/30 = 2.

Is my solution correct ? (I don't have anyone to ask him so I'm asking you).

Seems fine, but put in units.

Likes 1 person
An alternative (and easier) way of doing this is to use the impulse-momentum theorem.

1. What is the definition of required force?

The required force is the amount of force needed to stop a moving object completely.

2. How is the required force calculated?

The required force can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

3. Does the mass of the object affect the required force?

Yes, the mass of the object directly affects the required force. The higher the mass, the greater the required force needed to stop the object.

4. Is the required force the same for all moving objects?

No, the required force varies depending on the mass and velocity of the object. Objects with greater mass and velocity will require a larger force to stop.

5. What are some factors that can affect the required force?

The required force can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the object, the surface on which it is moving, and any external forces acting on the object.