Required tangential force to move spool

• Thread starter Dan Aiken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tangential force required to move a spool filled with rope that weighs 2,000 LBS. The calculations involve determining the moment of inertia, torque, and force, using variables such as weight, diameter, and angular acceleration. The final estimated tension in the rope is 851.29 Newtons, which may seem high but is comparable to the force exerted by an 85kg man due to gravity.
Dan Aiken
This should be an easy one, but my answer does not seem right to me. I was hoping someone to verify for me.

If you have a spool filled with rope that weighs 2,000 LBS on a frictionless axle. Determine the tangential force required to move the spool by pulling the rope.

Given:
Weight of spool = 907.18 KG
Diameter of spool = 1.22 Meters
Angular Acceleration = 2.093 RADs per Second
Length of spool = .74 Meters
T = Torque
A = Angular Acceleration
R = Radius of spool in meters

Explanation of calculations:

I calculated the moment of inertia for the full spool and used it to derive the torque (knowing the angular acceleration) and then derived force out of the torque equation.

Calculations:

I = 1/2*M*(L squared)
I = .5*907.18*.547
I = 248.11 KG*(Meters squared) Moment of inertia in Kg*Meters - squared

If I = T/A then

248.11*2.093 = T
T = 519.29 Newtons*Meters

If T = F*R then519.29 / .61 = F
F = 851.29 Newtons

As far as my tension in rope I assume it to be equal to F at 851.29 Newtons Is this correct? The value seems high to me. Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your working but...

851 Newtons is about the same force that an 85kg man exerts on the ground due to gravity. That doesn't seem like a lot given your 2000lb spool accelerates at 2 rad/s/s. (about 114 deg/s/s)

1. What is the required tangential force to move a spool?

The required tangential force to move a spool is the amount of force needed to overcome the resistance and move the spool in a circular motion. It is dependent on factors such as the weight of the spool, the coefficient of friction, and the radius of the spool.

2. How is the required tangential force calculated?

The required tangential force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the spool, which can be calculated using the formula W = mg, where m is the mass of the spool and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the role of the coefficient of friction in determining the required tangential force?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It determines the amount of resistance that the spool will encounter when moving in a circular motion. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a higher required tangential force.

4. How does the radius of the spool affect the required tangential force?

The radius of the spool plays a significant role in determining the required tangential force. A larger radius will result in a greater distance between the center of the spool and the point where the force is applied, resulting in a higher required tangential force. Conversely, a smaller radius will require less force to move the spool.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the required tangential force?

In addition to the weight of the spool, the coefficient of friction, and the radius of the spool, there are other factors that can affect the required tangential force. These include the type and condition of the surface the spool is moving on, the angle at which the force is applied, and any external forces acting on the spool.