Requisites for astronomy and/or astrophysic

• Thread starter Nova Era
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary skills and requirements for studying astronomy or astrophysics. It is mentioned that being a "math genius" is not a requirement, but having strong grades in physics and math is important. The speaker also shares their personal experience of studying astronomy but ending up working in IT. They suggest that having additional talents and political acumen can also be beneficial for finding a job in the field. The conversation ends with a mention of a prominent astronomer expressing frustration with the lack of practical work in the field.
Nova Era
Hi everyone!
I was wondering what kind of skills i have to bring with me to study astronomy or astrophysics.. Oh and do I have to be a "math genius", or is math not as important as in other branches? I'm talking about pure theoretical math..

Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the university entrance requirements for studying astronomy - "math genius" isn't one of them! But if you aren't getting straight A's in physics and maths throughout school I wouldn't consider it, unless you are lazy when it comes to revision - and, if so, you need to get working hard *now*, and if you still don't get straight As (with maybe the odd B) then start thinking about plumbing (it pays a lot better anyway...) That will not be enough to get you a job in astronomy, of course. I was always top of science & math classes in school, took astronomy all the way to MSc level, and still ended up working in IT (that pays better as well... :) I'm not trying to put you off, by the way, if you can get accepted by a university with,say, BCD grades and are *really* interested in astronomy more than anything else, certainly go ahead and do it. But remember many "math geniuses" do gravitate toward astronomy, so, unless you are a "math genius" don't expect to get a job in the pure math of string theory. You might, just, have a chance of a job if you exploit any other talents you have, the most important of which is *political acumen" - get yourself liked by the staff in whatever department you end up in and see if you can wheedle a job an average mathematican can do - observational astronomy, computer models of the universe... etc... these kind of 'practical' jobs will also be good preparation for your eventual move into IT or electronic engineering (though hopefully not into finance.) Ken Pounds - mega-star astronomer - was on BBC News this morning saying how sad he is that so many space scientists in the UK get jobs moving money around when they should be moving us to Mars, or at least doing *something* practical, something real, actually creating manufactured goods, rather than manufacturing a financial crisis...

1. What is the difference between astronomy and astrophysics?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe, while astrophysics is the branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical and chemical properties and processes of these objects. In other words, astronomy is more observational and descriptive, while astrophysics is more theoretical and quantitative.

2. What are the necessary educational requirements to become an astronomer or astrophysicist?

Typically, a bachelor's degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field is required for entry-level positions in astronomy or astrophysics. However, most jobs in these fields require a graduate degree, such as a Master's or PhD.

3. What skills are important for a career in astronomy or astrophysics?

Strong mathematical and computational skills are essential for both astronomy and astrophysics. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are important for conducting research and presenting findings.

4. What are some of the current research topics in astronomy and astrophysics?

Some current research topics in astronomy and astrophysics include the search for exoplanets, the study of dark matter and dark energy, and the exploration of the origins of the universe through cosmic microwave background radiation.

5. How does technology play a role in modern astronomy and astrophysics?

Technology is crucial to modern astronomy and astrophysics. It allows us to observe and collect data from distant objects and phenomena, such as telescopes and satellites. It also enables us to analyze and model this data, leading to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.