Research in wireless energy transfer or Future space engines

In summary, a student wants to do research in wireless energy transfer and future space engines, but lacks knowledge in these areas. They would like to join an organization supporting these topics, but are worried about the feasibility of the project and the allocation of energy.
The GodWhiz
Hi, i am a 2nd year B.E student in India,and a new user to this site(sorry for any mistakes :) ) .My question is i want to do research that primarily concerns these 2 areas viz.Wireless energy transfer, and future space engines(starwhisps,solar sails,etc),is there any way to achieve my dream,i would like to join any indian research organisation supporting these topics ,but any and all answers are appreciated :)
P.S-first time in this site,sorry for any errors in explaining the question

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know so far? Are there are mentors you can reach out to in your school?

Thanks for the reply,I know about the basic principles of wireless energy transfer-solar energy from the sun is collected via orbiting satellites,converted to laser or maser,preferably maser, as microwaves scatter less,these microwaves travel through the atmosphere and are then concentrated and collected by solar cells again,tuned(?)to receive microwaves ,which are then converted to dc and then a.c,atleast that's the theoretical aspect of it.my knowledge is limited at this point,i have no mentors as i am still in my 2nd year,further info/names of books and research papers,will be tremendously appreciated,again thanks sincerely for your reply.

I have heard that systems like this are possible in engineering terms.
The problem would be that the transmission to a ground receiver has to be 100% reliable,
(losses due to atmosphere condition being acceptable).
If not then some random village could accidentally get fried.

yea ,even though its a life changing,nobel prize winning idea,any attempts to search it always lead me to that japanese experiment(http://phys.org/news/2015-03-japan-space-scientists-wireless-energy.html),nothing else :(,anybody have any idea on resources,on how would each component be made and how it would work,since my knowledge in electronics is pretty basic,also another big problem in this path is the allocation of energy per satellite to a fixed area on Earth ,considering the rotation of Earth and the satellite,u would have to devise a pretty complicated system to generate constant power in every part of earth,its either that or the invention of efficient large energy storage facilities,to allocate it later

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is wireless energy transfer?

Wireless energy transfer is the process of transmitting electrical energy from one point to another without the use of physical wires or cables. This is achieved through the use of electromagnetic fields and is commonly used in devices such as smartphones and electric toothbrushes.

2. How does wireless energy transfer work?

Wireless energy transfer works by using two primary components: a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter creates an oscillating magnetic field, which induces a current in the receiver. This current can then be used to power a device or charge a battery.

3. What are the potential benefits of wireless energy transfer?

The main benefit of wireless energy transfer is the ability to charge or power devices without the need for physical connections. This can lead to increased convenience and efficiency, as well as reducing the need for disposable batteries and reducing clutter from tangled cords.

4. What is the current state of research in wireless energy transfer?

There is currently a significant amount of research being conducted in the field of wireless energy transfer, with a focus on improving efficiency, range, and safety. Some researchers are also exploring the use of wireless energy transfer for larger applications, such as powering electric vehicles or even entire buildings.

5. How can wireless energy transfer be applied to future space engines?

One potential application of wireless energy transfer in space engines is for powering spacecraft or satellites. By using wireless energy transfer, these vehicles could potentially stay in orbit for longer periods of time without the need for refueling. Additionally, wireless energy transfer could also be used to transmit power between spacecrafts, allowing for more efficient communication and data transfer.