1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Research in wireless energy transfer or Future space engines

1. Aug 28, 2016 #1
    Hi, i am a 2nd year B.E student in India,and a new user to this site(sorry for any mistakes :) ) .My question is i want to do research that primarily concerns these 2 areas viz.Wireless energy transfer, and future space engines(starwhisps,solar sails,etc),is there any way to acheive my dream,i would like to join any indian research organisation supporting these topics ,but any and all answers are appreciated :)
    P.S-first time in this site,sorry for any errors in explaining the question

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2016 #2
    What do you know so far? Are there are mentors you can reach out to in your school?

4. Sep 1, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the reply,I know about the basic principles of wireless energy transfer-solar energy from the sun is collected via orbiting satellites,converted to laser or maser,preferably maser, as microwaves scatter less,these microwaves travel through the atmosphere and are then concentrated and collected by solar cells again,tuned(?)to receive microwaves ,which are then converted to dc and then a.c,atleast thats the theoretical aspect of it.my knowledge is limited at this point,i have no mentors as i am still in my 2nd year,further info/names of books and research papers,will be tremendously appreciated,again thanks sincerly for your reply.

5. Sep 1, 2016 #4
    I have heard that systems like this are possible in engineering terms.
    The problem would be that the transmission to a ground receiver has to be 100% reliable,
    (losses due to atmosphere condition being acceptable).
    If not then some random village could accidentally get fried.

6. Sep 2, 2016 #5
    yea ,even though its a life changing,nobel prize winning idea,any attempts to search it always lead me to that japanese experiment(http://phys.org/news/2015-03-japan-space-scientists-wireless-energy.html),nothing [Broken] else :(,anybody have any idea on resources,on how would each component be made and how it would work,since my knowledge in electronics is pretty basic,also another big problem in this path is the allocation of energy per satellite to a fixed area on earth ,considering the rotation of earth and the satellite,u would have to devise a pretty complicated system to generate constant power in every part of earth,its either that or the invention of efficient large energy storage facilities,to allocate it later

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted