Research topics and nanotechnology.

In summary, E.E. research topics and current-active research programs include photonics, optical computing, quantum computing, and semi-conductors.
Akaisora
Gold Member
Can someone elaborate on E.E research topics and current-active research programs? I have read about photonics, optical computing, quantum computing and semi-conductors.

I plan on doing a project and small research on an undergraduate level. I tried to do a research on tokamaks and confining plasma but it is not a main topic in E.E, even though it is related somehow; I also wanted to assemble and build a small plasma reactor but the ideas that I wanted to test were a bit too advanced and complex.

Suggesting a book, lecture or documentary would be good.

Note: I haven't completed calculus and calculus based physics yet.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I will start.

Photonic transistor/ optical transistor.

Any experts here? I read about Harvard researchers tunneling two photons and trapping one in an atom as an "on" position, thus acting like a transistor.

Discuss? I will read more about but I doubt my ability to research something on the nano-scale.

Im a bit unsure what it is you are asking for. As far as I know, undergrads don't do research. At least not here in Denmark they don't.

Here we take a Bachelor Degree, and then a what's equivalent to a Masters Degree or Graduate Degree I guess. But it isn't before after the Masters degree that you can apply for a research position as a Ph. D.

Bachelor normally takes 3 years and masters take 2 years. And then you do a 2-3 year Ph. D. research.

So, when you are talking about E.E. research on the undergrad level I really have no idea what that is, is it part of a project?
My E.E. education contains no research, it is learning theory and applying theory in practical areas, and then there are projects where we build different stuff, ending up with a project for a company.

The areas you are talking about sounds to my like a more physics related subject than E.E, and if it is E.E., i would imagine that it would be part of a Masters/Graduate program, and no an undergrad program.

But I might be completely wrong.

I am talking strictly about US style universities. You can work on research, not necessarily something on your schedule/curriculum.

For example, most top universities offer courses in research and research opportunities for undergraduates; MIT has UROP, which stands for Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program.

That is not my main concern. The topics that I brought up are closely related to E.E, as the latter deals with electromagnetism, electric circuits, computing and electric circuits.

Photonics and quantum computing have a lot to do with E.E.

I will research the subject more and make a new informative-type topic about research opportunities and current research programs in E.E.

Actually Stanford lists quantum computing and photonics as part of E.E research. I am not betting on getting in Stanford, but I will try to come up with a project.

Nanotechnology is a rapidly growing field that involves manipulating matter at the atomic and molecular level. It has a wide range of applications in various industries, including electronics, medicine, energy, and materials science. Some current research topics in nanotechnology include:

1. Nanoelectronics: This involves the development of electronic devices and components at the nanoscale. This includes research on materials such as graphene and carbon nanotubes, which have unique electrical properties.

2. Nanomedicine: This field focuses on using nanotechnology for medical applications, such as drug delivery, imaging, and tissue engineering.

3. Nanomaterials: Researchers are exploring the properties and potential applications of various nanomaterials, including nanoparticles, nanotubes, and nanocomposites.

4. Energy storage: Nanotechnology is being used to develop new materials and devices for more efficient energy storage, such as batteries and supercapacitors.

5. Environmental applications: Nanotechnology has the potential to address environmental challenges, such as water purification and pollution control.

As for current-active research programs, there are many ongoing projects in both academia and industry. Some examples include the National Nanotechnology Initiative in the United States, the European Commission's Horizon 2020 program, and the NanoNextNL program in the Netherlands. These programs fund research in a wide range of areas and may be a good starting point for finding more specific research topics and projects.

In terms of resources, there are many books, lectures, and documentaries available on nanotechnology. Some recommended books include "Nanotechnology: Understanding Small Systems" by Ben Rogers, "Introduction to Nanotechnology" by Poole and Owens, and "Nanotechnology: A Gentle Introduction to the Next Big Idea" by Mark Ratner and Daniel Ratner. As for lectures and documentaries, you can find many online resources from universities and organizations such as TED Talks and the National Nanotechnology Initiative.

It's great that you are interested in exploring nanotechnology and its potential applications! As an undergraduate, you may want to start by taking relevant courses in physics, chemistry, and engineering to gain a solid foundation in the principles of nanotechnology. Good luck with your research project!

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of matter on an extremely small scale, typically at the nanometer level. It involves engineering and manipulating materials at the atomic and molecular levels to create new materials and devices with unique properties.

2. What are some current research topics in nanotechnology?

Some current research topics in nanotechnology include drug delivery systems, energy storage and conversion, nanoelectronics, and nanosensors. Other areas of research include nanomedicine, nanomaterials for environmental applications, and nanotechnology for food and agriculture.

3. How does nanotechnology benefit society?

Nanotechnology has the potential to benefit society in many ways. It can lead to advancements in medicine, such as targeted drug delivery and improved diagnostic techniques. It can also improve energy efficiency and storage, create new materials with unique properties, and enhance food production and safety.

4. What are the potential risks and ethical concerns associated with nanotechnology?

Some potential risks of nanotechnology include the release of nanoparticles into the environment, the unknown effects of long-term exposure to nanoparticles, and the potential for unintended consequences in the development of new materials. Ethical concerns include the responsible use of nanotechnology, potential impacts on human health and the environment, and issues of equity and access.

5. How can I get involved in nanotechnology research?

If you are interested in getting involved in nanotechnology research, you can pursue a degree in a related field such as chemistry, physics, or engineering. You can also seek out internships or research opportunities at universities or companies that specialize in nanotechnology. Additionally, attending conferences and networking with professionals in the field can help you learn about potential research opportunities and collaborations.