Resistance due to temperature change

Therefore, the correct resistance at -20°C is 7.30 ohms. In summary, the resistance of the wire at -20°C is 7.30 ohms.
xxkylexx
A metal wire has a resistance of 8.70 ohms at a temperature of 20°C. If the same wire has a resistance of 11.20 ohms at 90°C, what is the resistance of the wire when its temperature is -20°C?
R = Ro[1 + a(T-To)]
Basically what I did was found a first by using the 2 given resistances and temperatures:
11.20 = 8.70[1 + a(90-20)], and I got a = .0041 .

Then I used this a = .0041 to find the R we were looking for (that was the temperature of -20°C):
R = 8.70[1 + .0041(40)], and I get R = 10.12 ohms -- which is wrong.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong here.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you missed a negative sign. Your (T-To) should be (-20-20), giving -40 instead of +40 in your equation.

Hello Kyle,

Thank you for sharing your work and thought process. Your approach is correct, but I believe there is a small error in your calculation. When finding the value of "a", you used the temperatures in Kelvin instead of Celsius. The formula for temperature coefficient of resistance is a = (R2-R1)/(R1(T2-T1)), where T is in Kelvin. So, in this case, it would be a = (11.20-8.70)/(8.70(363-293)) = 0.0039.

Using this value of a, we can find the resistance at -20°C as:
R = 8.70[1 + 0.0039(-40)] = 8.31 ohms.

I hope this helps clarify the issue. Keep up the good work!
Best,

1. What is resistance due to temperature change?

Resistance due to temperature change is a phenomenon in which the electrical resistance of a material changes in response to a change in temperature. As the temperature of a material increases, its resistance typically increases as well.

2. How does resistance due to temperature change affect electronic devices?

Resistance due to temperature change can affect electronic devices in several ways. It can cause fluctuations in the performance of the device, leading to errors or malfunctions. It can also cause overheating, which can damage the components of the device.

3. What causes resistance to change with temperature?

Resistance changes with temperature due to the movement of electrons in the material. As the temperature increases, the electrons gain more energy and move more quickly, leading to a higher resistance.

4. How can resistance due to temperature change be minimized?

To minimize resistance due to temperature change, materials with low temperature coefficients of resistance can be used. These materials have a small change in resistance for a given change in temperature. Additionally, proper cooling and heat dissipation techniques can be employed to keep the temperature of electronic devices within a safe operating range.

5. What is the relationship between temperature and resistance?

The relationship between temperature and resistance is typically linear. This means that as the temperature increases, the resistance also increases at a constant rate. However, this relationship can vary depending on the material and its properties.