Change in length due to temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in length of a steel rod due to temperature changes and the role of the resistance of an aluminum rod in this process. The equation for the stress in the steel rod is given by σ_s = E_s(ε_s - α_sΔT), where ε_s is the strain in the steel rod, E_s is the Young's modulus of the rod, and α_s is the coefficient of linear expansion. The downward displacement of the end of the steel rod is related to the displacement of the end of the aluminum rod by δ_s/0.6 = -δ_A/1.2. The tension in the steel rod is given by P_s = A_sE_s(δ_s/L
chetzread

Homework Statement

in the notes , i was told that ∂A is the resistance of aluminium rod...I'm wondering the change length of steel rod that we can 'see' is ∂ st or ∂T(st) ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the change length of steel rod that we can 'see' is ∂ st ?

Attachments

• 320.jpg
    320.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 481
Physics news on Phys.org
This time they use ##\delta##, not ##\partial## :smile: .
It clearly says 'the movement of A'
Has nothing to do with the resistance ??
I don't see ##\delta A##, only ##\delta_A##.

And under 'contraction of steel rod' I can't distinguish what it says, something like ##\delta_{T(st)}## ?

Likes chetzread
BvU said:
It clearly says 'the movement of A'
Has nothing to do with the resistance ??
the author didnt say that. He stated that the steel rod cannot contract freely because resistance of aluminium rod.
BvU said:
And under 'contraction of steel rod' I can't distinguish what it says, something like δT(st)δT(st)\delta_{T(st)} ?
I think the δT(st) is contraction of steel rod due to drop in temperature...
So, when we want to measure the change in length, the length that we gt is δA or) δT(st)?
P/s : the diagram beside the figure of rod is δ(st) + δT(st) = δT(st)

Last edited:
chetzread said:
I think the δT(st) is contraction of steel rod due to drop in temperature...
It's the contraction that would have occurred due to temperature if the aluminium rod were not there.
chetzread said:
the change in length, the length that we gt is δA or) δT(st)?
δA is the observed contraction in the steel. δst is the discrepancy between the two.
But I do not understand what the diagram shows at C. It's a bit fuzzy, but it looks like it says the expansion of the aluminium rod equals the observed contraction of the steel rod. That is clearly not the case.

Likes chetzread
haruspex said:
It's the contraction that would have occurred due to temperature if the aluminium rod were not there.

δA is the observed contraction in the steel. δst is the discrepancy between the two.
But I do not understand what the diagram shows at C. It's a bit fuzzy, but it looks like it says the expansion of the aluminium rod equals the observed contraction of the steel rod. That is clearly not the case.
so, δA is the observed contraction in the steel?
What is δT(st), we wouldn't see it with naked eyes?

The stress in the steel rod is given by: $$\sigma_s=E_s(\epsilon_s-\alpha_s \Delta T)\tag{key}$$
where ##\epsilon_s## is the strain in the steel rod, Es is the Young's modulus of the steel rod, and ##\alpha_s## is the coefficient of linear expansion of the steel rod. This equation says that, if the steel rod expands with no constraint (i.e., with ##\sigma_s = 0##), the strain in the rod is ##\epsilon_s = \alpha_s \Delta T##, but, if the stress in the rod is greater than 0, the strain will be greater than ##\alpha_s \Delta T##. If ##\delta_s## is the downward displacement of the end of the steel rod, then ##\epsilon_s=\delta_s/L_s##, and $$\sigma_s=E_s\left(\frac{\delta_s}{L_s}-\alpha_s \Delta T\right)$$
Geometrically, the downward displacement of the end of the steel rod is related to the downward displacement of the end of the aluminum rod by:$$\frac{\delta_s}{0.6}=-\frac{\delta_A}{1.2}\tag{1}$$
The tensile stress in the aluminum rod is given by$$\sigma_A=E_A\frac{\delta _A}{L_A}$$
The tension in the steel rod is given by$$P_s=A_s\sigma_s=A_sE_s\left(\frac{\delta_s}{L_s}-\alpha_s \Delta T\right)\tag{2}$$
Similarly, the tension in the aluminum rod is given by $$P_A=A_AE_A\frac{\delta _A}{L_A}\tag{3}$$
If we combine Eqns. 1-3 with the moment balance on the bar ABC, we can solve for all the displacements, strains, stresses, and tensions. What is the moment balance on the bar ABC in terms of the tensions ##P_s## and ##P_A##?

The key to this whole analysis is the equation labeled "key." This equation takes into account the thermal expansion strain experienced by the rod plus whatever extra strain experienced by the rod to give the overall stress.

Likes chetzread
chetzread said:
What is δT(st), we wouldn't see it with naked eyes?
No, you would not, but you can calculate it from the temperature change.

Chestermiller said:
The stress in the steel rod is given by: $$\sigma_s=E_s(\epsilon_s-\alpha_s \Delta T)\tag{key}$$
where ##\epsilon_s## is the strain in the steel rod, Es is the Young's modulus of the steel rod, and ##\alpha_s## is the coefficient of linear expansion of the steel rod. This equation says that, if the steel rod expands with no constraint (i.e., with ##\sigma_s = 0##), the strain in the rod is ##\epsilon_s = \alpha_s \Delta T##, but, if the stress in the rod is greater than 0, the strain will be greater than ##\alpha_s \Delta T##. If ##\delta_s## is the downward displacement of the end of the steel rod, then ##\epsilon_s=\delta_s/L_s##, and $$\sigma_s=E_s\left(\frac{\delta_s}{L_s}-\alpha_s \Delta T\right)$$
Geometrically, the downward displacement of the end of the steel rod is related to the downward displacement of the end of the aluminum rod by:$$\frac{\delta_s}{0.6}=-\frac{\delta_A}{1.2}\tag{1}$$
The tensile stress in the aluminum rod is given by$$\sigma_A=E_A\frac{\delta _A}{L_A}$$
The tension in the steel rod is given by$$P_s=A_s\sigma_s=A_sE_s\left(\frac{\delta_s}{L_s}-\alpha_s \Delta T\right)\tag{2}$$
Similarly, the tension in the aluminum rod is given by $$P_A=A_AE_A\frac{\delta _A}{L_A}\tag{3}$$
If we combine Eqns. 1-3 with the moment balance on the bar ABC, we can solve for all the displacements, strains, stresses, and tensions. What is the moment balance on the bar ABC in terms of the tensions ##P_s## and ##P_A##?

The key to this whole analysis is the equation labeled "key." This equation takes into account the thermal expansion strain experienced by the rod plus whatever extra strain experienced by the rod to give the overall stress.
the sigma s is strain , which is the change in length / original length , right , why you said it is constraint ?

haruspex said:
No, you would not, but you can calculate it from the temperature change.
δA is the observed contraction in the steel? the change in length that we can notice is δA ? then , what does δ(st) means ?

chetzread said:
what does δ(st) means ?
As I posted, it is the difference between δA and δT(st). What is the immediate cause of that difference?

Likes chetzread
haruspex said:
As I posted, it is the difference between δA and δT(st). What is the immediate cause of that difference?
sorry , i really have no idea what will cause the difference of δA and δT(st) . Will we be able to see that difference with naked eyes?

chetzread said:
sorry , i really have no idea what will cause the difference of δA and δT(st) . Will we be able to see that difference with naked eyes?
See your own response to Chet
chetzread said:
strain , which is the change in length / original length ,

haruspex said:
See your own response to Chet
can you explain further ?

chetzread said:
can you explain further ?
How does the aluminium rod affect the contraction of the steel rod?

Likes chetzread
haruspex said:
How does the aluminium rod affect the contraction of the steel rod?
When steel contract, aluminum extend...

chetzread said:
When steel contract, aluminum extend...
Yes, but think about the forces. What is the consequence for the steel?

Likes chetzread
haruspex said:
Yes, but think about the forces. What is the consequence for the steel?
The steel contract, the forces act upwards?

chetzread said:
The steel contract, the forces act upwards?
The contraction of the steel is because of the temperature change. How is this altered by the aluminium rod? Is the steel under compression or under tension?

chetzread said:
the sigma s is strain , which is the change in length / original length , right , why you said it is constraint ?
No. As I said, it is the stress (not the strain).

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
The stress in the steel rod is given by:
σs=Es(ϵs−αsΔT)​
from the figure , we could see that the change in length due to temperature is more than the δA , so it should be
σs=Es(-ϵs+αsΔT) ?

haruspex said:
steel under compression
steel under compression

chetzread said:
from the figure , we could see that the change in length due to temperature is more than the δA , so it should be
σs=Es(-ϵs+αsΔT) ?
Forget about A. We're just focusing on the steel. Even though the steel rod is shorter than its original length (because of its decrease in temperature), it is still in tension because it is not being allowed to contract in length as much as it would have liked to. So the original equation I gave is correct, and captures both the effect of the decreased temperature and the constraint of not being able to contract (as much). We are using the sign convention that tensile stress is positive.

Likes chetzread
chetzread said:
steel under compression
Why?

Chestermiller said:
Forget about A. We're just focusing on the steel. Even though the steel rod is shorter than its original length (because of its decrease in temperature), it is still in tension because it is not being allowed to contract in length as much as it would have liked to. So the original equation I gave is correct, and captures both the effect of the decreased temperature and the constraint of not being able to contract (as much). We are using the sign convention that tensile stress is positive.
but, in post#6 ,
Chestermiller said:
since there's constraint, so $$\sigma_s >0$$ ?
if so, εs > αΔT ?
But, that's not the case...In the notes in the post#1, (st) > A , which means αΔT> εs , Am i right?

haruspex said:
Why?
steel contract

chetzread said:
steel contract
The steel contracts because it is cold. That is not compression. Compression would be contraction because of an externally applied force.
What force is being externally applied?

haruspex said:
The steel contracts because it is cold. That is not compression. Compression would be contraction because of an externally applied force.
do you mean steel contract is tension? why? i still didnt get that...
haruspex said:
external compression force

chetzread said:
but, in post#6 ,

since there's constraint, so $$\sigma_s >0$$ ?
if so, εs > αΔT ?
But, that's not the case...In the notes in the post#1, (st) > A , which means αΔT> εs , Am i right?
No. ##\alpha \Delta T## is negative, so ##-\alpha \Delta T## is positive and, even if ##\epsilon_s## is negative, the stress is still positive.

Here is a thought experiment for you. You take a rod of steel and cool it (without constraining it) so that it contracts to a new length. The stress in the rod after cooling is still zero, but it has experienced a negative strain. Now you stretch the rod at constant temperature back to nearly (but not quite) its original length. Is it now under tension or compression?

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
No. ##\alpha \Delta T## is negative, so ##-\alpha \Delta T## is positive and, even if ##\epsilon_s## is negative, the stress is still positive.

Here is a thought experiment for you. You take a rod of steel and cool it (without constraining it) so that it contracts to a new length. The stress in the rod after cooling is still zero, but it has experienced a negative strain. Now you stretch the rod at constant temperature back to nearly (but not quite) its original length. Is it now under tension or compression?
do you mean in $$\sigma_s=E_s(\epsilon_s-\alpha_s \Delta T)\tag{key}$$
, εs is negative(due to contraction) , and -σsΔT has positive value (-σs(-T) =positive) , so σs has positive value?

Chestermiller said:
tension

chetzread said:
tension
Right. So, even though it is a little shorter, it is in tension. In your problem, even though the steel bar is shorter, it is in tension.

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
Right. So, even though it is a little shorter, it is in tension. In your problem, even though the steel bar is shorter, it is in tension.
You mean pull the contracted steel , the force is tension?
So, how does it relate to the question I asked?

chetzread said:
You mean pull the contracted steel , the force is tension?
Yes.
chetzread said:
do you mean in $$\sigma_s=E_s(\epsilon_s-\alpha_s \Delta T)\tag{key}$$
Yes.
, εs is negative(due to contraction) , and -σsΔT has positive value (-σs(-T) =positive) , so σs has positive value?
Yes.
So, how does it relate to the question I asked?
The answer to your question is Yes.

Chestermiller said:
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

The answer to your question is Yes.

so, σs=Es(-ϵs+αsΔT)​
where
αsΔT >ϵs , so σs = positive?

chetzread said:
so, σs=Es(-ϵs+αsΔT)​
where