1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance In Series/Parallel circuits

1. Oct 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I need to find the total resistance of a circuit (attached file). I'm pretty sure it's really and straight forward but I'm a chemical engineer and this is coursework so just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do I just simplify by adding the following to each other in series to give three resistor value (R2+R3) (R4+R5+R6) (R7+R8) then work it out using these in the parallel question? ie Rcircuit= R1 + R9 + [(1/Rtotal)=1/(R2+R3) + 1/(R4+R5+R6)] + 1/(R7+R8)]

I totally appreciate they way I have just typed this was not very clear so I'm happy to explain myself more!

*Edited*

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That cannot be right because R4 is not parallel to R7 and R8. But you have the right approach - collapse combinations in stages, starting with the simplest ones.

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3
    So do I add R1 + R4 + R9 in series. Then do the parallel calculation [(1/Rtotal)=1/(R2+R3) + 1/(R5+R6)] + 1/(R7+R8)]? Sorry not done physics in 3 years so I'm a bit rusty!

5. Oct 27, 2014 #4
    Is this what I do anyone?

6. Oct 27, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not R4. There's a connection with other resistors in between R1 and R4.
    In general, you look for:
    - two resistors in sequence with no other connection between them; if found, combine them, adding resistances
    - two resistors joined to each other at both ends; if found, combine them using the parallel resistance rule
    - repeat as necessary
    Yes, you can combine 2 with 3, 5 with 6, and 7 with 8. What next?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted