1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance of a cylindrical resistor

1. Aug 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 8.34.04 pm.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can someone tell me what formula to use? Is it p=RA/L? but what about the mass? Thanks~

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2017 #2
    What can you infer about the volume of the smaller resistors compared to the volume of the larger resistor?

4. Aug 2, 2017 #3
    p=m/V ,

if m half, V half,

V=πr2L

right?

5. Aug 2, 2017 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I will tell you don't use any formula. It will do you no good, maybe less than none. Use physical thinking. Use a thought experiment like slicing a resistor in two.

Get the physical understanding then that will help you understand the formula!

6. Aug 2, 2017 #5
    I agree with epenguin who has given you very good advice. If you do need to refer to a formula try to get a good understanding of what the formula is actually referring to. In many cases you will find it's common sense. Without understanding the formula you're just substituting numbers and probably learning very little.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted