Resistance of a network between two points

In summary: Now, can you explain why?In summary, the resistance between A and B in the network shown is 3 Ω, as the resistors along path ADCB are in series. The resistance between A and C is 4 Ω, as the 4-ohm resistors along AC are in parallel.
moenste

Homework Statement

Calculate the resistance of the network shown below: (a) between A and B, (b) between A and C.

a1024cb4248b.jpg

Answers: (a) 3 Ω, (b) 4 Ω

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) I would say that the resistance is 4 Ω between A and B.

(b) For A and C the resistance is: (1/4 + 1/4)-1 = 2 Ω.

In both cases the answers are wrong. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
In (a) you treat the problem as if the three resistors along path ADCB were not there.
In (b) you treat the 4-ohm resistors along AC as if they were in parallel. Are they?

On edit: We cannot help you find out what you are missing if you don't show the relevant equations and how you used them.

Likes moenste
kuruman said:
In (a) you treat the problem as if the three resistors along path ADCB were not there.
In (b) you treat the 4-ohm resistors along AC as if they were in parallel. Are they?
I looked in my studybook and in Google, but I couldn't find a similar problem, only something like this (from here). If we use 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/Rn we'll get 1/R = 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25, so R = 1 Ω. No idea what to do with it without V or I (current).

You need to recognize parallel and series combinations in each case, then use the equations to replace these combinations with their equivalent resistance. However, it seems you are confused about which is which. Can you answer the following 4 questions?

1. What do parallel resistors share in common, voltage or current?
2. What do series resistors share in common, voltage or current?
3. 1/Req. = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... +1/Rn is for parallel or for series?
4. Req. =R1 + R2 + ... +Rn is for parallel or for series?

Likes moenste
kuruman said:
You need to recognize parallel and series combinations in each case, then use the equations to replace these combinations with their equivalent resistance. However, it seems you are confused about which is which. Can you answer the following 4 questions?

1. What do parallel resistors share in common, voltage or current?
2. What do series resistors share in common, voltage or current?
3. 1/Req. = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... +1/Rn is for parallel or for series?
4. Req. =R1 + R2 + ... +Rn is for parallel or for series?
1. Parallel resistors have V/R = V/R1 + V/R2 + ..., the same V is across each resistor.
2. Series resistors have V = V1 + V2 + ..., where V1 = IR1. The same current flows through each resistor.
3. This is for parallel.
4. This is for series.

In our case I don't understand whether it's a parallel one or a series one. It looks like a series.

Good. Now let's look at (a). Imagine a battery connected between A and B. In view of your answers to the first two questions, can you recognize which combinations of resistors are in parallel and which are in series?

Likes moenste
kuruman said:
Good. Now let's look at (a). Imagine a battery connected between A and B. In view of your answers to the first two questions, can you recognize which combinations of resistors are in parallel and which are in series?
This is how I see it:
1aad6b53f8a9.jpg

They are all in series because as in my book example all the parallel ones are separated with black dots (in every example in my book, not only in this one). Like in the example 10 and 15 Ohm are parallel because of the two black dots. However, 4 and 2 Ohm resistors aren't parallel but in series, even though they are under 90 degrees to each other.

That's how I see it at this moment...

Your drawing is not correct. Imagine a battery connected at A and B. Start by drawing the square of resistors as given to you. Then draw one vertical line at point A going up and another vertical line at point B also going up. Draw black dots at A and B and a battery across the free ends of the vertical ends that you drew. Do you see what's going on now?

Likes moenste
kuruman said:
Your drawing is not correct. Imagine a battery connected at A and B. Start by drawing the square of resistors as given to you. Then draw one vertical line at point A going up and another vertical line at point B also going up. Draw black dots at A and B and a battery across the free ends of the vertical ends that you drew. Do you see what's going on now?
Something like this?

Almost. You need to erase one battery, say the one on the right and connect the negative terminal of the battery on the left to point B. Then you will have a complete circuit. Now imagine current starting at the battery. It reaches point A and splits in two parts. Which resistors are in series and which are in parallel?

Likes moenste
kuruman said:
Almost. You need to erase one battery, say the one on the right and connect the negative terminal of the battery on the left to point B. Then you will have a complete circuit. Now imagine current starting at the battery. It reaches point A and splits in two parts. Which resistors are in series and which are in parallel?
Is this what you suggest?

Calculations:
(a) 1/R = 1/4 + 1/(4+4+4) so R = 3 Ohm.

(b) 1/R = 1/(4+4) + 1/(4+4) so R = 4 Ohm

Update: only one battery now here, I think this is what you meant.

You got it.

Likes moenste

1. What is the definition of resistance in a network between two points?

Resistance is the measure of difficulty for an electric current to pass through a network between two points. It is represented by the symbol "R" and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is the resistance of a network between two points calculated?

The resistance of a network between two points is calculated by dividing the voltage difference between the two points by the current passing through the network. This can be represented by the equation R = V/I.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a network between two points?

The resistance of a network between two points is affected by the material and dimensions of the conducting material, as well as the temperature and the presence of any resistors or other components in the network.

4. How does the length of a network between two points affect its resistance?

The longer the length of a network between two points, the higher the resistance will be. This is because the longer distance creates more opportunities for collisions between the electrons and the atoms in the material, making it more difficult for current to pass through.

5. How does the presence of resistors affect the overall resistance of a network between two points?

The presence of resistors in a network between two points increases the overall resistance. Resistors are designed to limit the flow of current, so they will add to the overall resistance of the network. However, the amount of resistance they add depends on their individual resistance values.