Resistance of a wire around the Earth

  • Topic: Engineering 
  • Thread starter Thread starter godiswatching_
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Earth Resistance Wire
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
godiswatching_
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
Homework statement in the image.
Relevant Equations
$$R=\rho\frac{l}{A}$$
$$l=2\pi r$$
Hey! I had a question about this problem.

I did (1) Using
$$R_{0}=\rho\frac{l}{A}$$

For (2) I assume the question means that the radius increases by a meter.
So I used $$\bigtriangleup L = 2\pi (r_{E}+1) - l$$
and then I used that L to find the new R. Then I said $$\bigtriangleup R = R-R_{0}$$

Does that seem right? This seems too simple to be right.

My final answer was:
$$\bigtriangleup R = 3.4 \cdot 10^{-4} \Omega$$
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 3.26.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 3.26.38 PM.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 169
Physics news on Phys.org
'Too simple' is not an argument ...
What could possible be wrong ?

##\ ##
 
BvU said:
'Too simple' is not an argument ...
What could possible be wrong ?

##\ ##
I don’t see anything wrong with my steps. I think they are all logically sound. It’s more so that I’m paranoid and don’t want to lose points on homework for no reason really.
 
PF isn't in the business of stamp-approving homework. It wouldn't help anyone. You do your calculation, get a result and check it. Twice if you want, three times if you are paranoid :smile:

Have some faith in your work ... :wink:

##\ ##
 
I find it pretty hard to believe that adding a mere 6.28 m of wire is enough to lift it by 1 meter off the ground all the way around the Earth, but it does indeed.
 
vela said:
I find it pretty hard to believe that adding a mere 6.28 m of wire is enough to lift it by 1 meter off the ground all the way around the Earth, but it does indeed.
It seemed unbelievable when I first heard this one, but the math bears it out.
##C = 2\pi r \Rightarrow \Delta C = 2\pi \Delta r## -- this is an equality due to the linearity of this function.
If ##\Delta r = 1 \text{ meter}##, then ##\Delta C = 2\pi \cdot 1 \approx 6.28 \text{ meters}##