Resistance of an oscillating system

In summary: I feel a little more confident now. That diagram was quite helpful (if I think I know what I'm doing). ##A = \frac{x}{x_o}##, so I'll just equate ##e^{-\gamma t} = A## and solve for ##\gamma## which I can then use to solve for b?Yes, that is the correct procedure. Yes, that is the correct procedure.
TheBigDig

Homework Statement

93f07c45ade95211f6d3d72b23fe6ce5.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

##F = -kx = m\ddot{x} ##
## f = \frac{2\pi}{\omega}##
## \omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} ##
##\ddot{x} + \gamma \dot{x}+\omega_o^2x = 0 ##
##\gamma = \frac{b}{m}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on part c of this question. Using the above equations I got k = 90.5 and ##\ddot{x}## = 135.75 m/s##^2##. I believe I have to use the damped oscillator case for this question (equation 4) but I'm not sure how to find ##\dot{x}##

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to have an analytical form for x(t), solution to the equation of motion for the damped oscillator.

DrClaude said:
It would help to have an analytical form for x(t), solution to the equation of motion for the damped oscillator.
Sure
##x(t) = Acos(\omega t) + B sin(\omega t)##
##x(t) = Acos(\omega t + \phi)## where ##\phi## is the initial phase

Is that what you're looking for?

TheBigDig said:
Sure
##x(t) = Acos(\omega t) + B sin(\omega t)##
##x(t) = Acos(\omega t + \phi)## where ##\phi## is the initial phase

Is that what you're looking for?
Nope. These are equations for an undamped oscillator. You have a damped oscillator, so the amplitude will not be constant.

DrClaude said:
Nope. These are equations for an undamped oscillator. You have a damped oscillator, so the amplitude will not be constant.

I've got
## x = Ae^{-\frac{1}{2} \gamma t} cos(\omega_d t +\phi)##
where ##\omega_d = \omega_o \sqrt{1-(\gamma / 2\omega_o)^2}##

You can now use that to figure out the constant γ based on the decrease in amplitude.

DrClaude said:
You can now use that to figure out the constant γ based on the decrease in amplitude.
Sorry, still confused. Don't I need to know ##\gamma## to solve for ##\omega_d##? I'm still not sure how to solve for ##\gamma## since I have two unknowns in my equation.

TheBigDig said:
Sorry, still confused. Don't I need to know ##\gamma## to solve for ##\omega_d##? I'm still not sure how to solve for ##\gamma## since I have two unknowns in my equation.
You don't need to know ##\omega_d##. You have information on how the amplitude decreases, and this is enough to find ##\gamma##.

DrClaude said:
You don't need to know ##\omega_d##. You have information on how the amplitude decreases, and this is enough to find ##\gamma##.
Sorry, I don't fully understand why I don't need ##\omega_d##. The equation contains ##cos(\omega_d t + \phi)##.

TheBigDig said:
Sorry, I don't fully understand why I don't need ##\omega_d##. The equation contains ##cos(\omega_d t + \phi)##.
Yes, but you don't need the full motion. Someone has measured the amplitude of the oscillation at two points in time, and that is all that is needed. By how much the frequency was reduced is not relevant to what you are trying to find.

DrClaude said:
Yes, but you don't need the full motion. Someone has measured the amplitude of the oscillation at two points in time, and that is all that is needed. By how much the frequency was reduced is not relevant to what you are trying to find.
Ah, okay. So the cosine term can be neglected can it?

So I take A = 0.06, x = 0.3, t = 8.0s and solve ##x = Ae^{-\frac{1}{2} \gamma t}##?

TheBigDig said:
Ah, okay. So the cosine term can be neglected can it?
No, it can't be neglected. But you don't need to know the exact position of the mass at t = 8.0 s. Concentrate on the amplitude.

Edit: It may help you to have a look at this picture http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/images/oscda9.gif

DrClaude said:
No, it can't be neglected. But you don't need to know the exact position of the mass at t = 8.0 s. Concentrate on the amplitude.

Edit: It may help you to have a look at this picture http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/images/oscda9.gif

That diagram was quite helpful (if I think I know what I'm doing). ##A = \frac{x}{x_o}##, so I'll just equate ##e^{-\gamma t} = A## and solve for ##\gamma## which I can then use to solve for b?

EDIT: Also, thanks for being so patient with me.

1. What is an oscillating system?

An oscillating system is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion, where the system moves back and forth between two points or states.

2. How does resistance affect an oscillating system?

Resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an oscillating system, causing it to lose energy and decrease in amplitude over time.

3. What factors can influence the resistance of an oscillating system?

The resistance of an oscillating system can be influenced by factors such as the type of material used, the temperature, and the surface area of the system.

4. How can the resistance of an oscillating system be measured?

The resistance of an oscillating system can be measured by analyzing the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations over time. It can also be measured using specialized instruments, such as a force sensor or a rheometer.

5. How can the resistance of an oscillating system be reduced?

The resistance of an oscillating system can be reduced by using materials with lower resistance, minimizing friction and air resistance, and optimizing the design of the system to minimize the effects of resistance.