Resistance of the insulation in coaxial cable

In summary, to determine the resistance of the insulation in a length l of coaxial cable with inner radius a and outer radius b, one must integrate the formula R=\rho\frac{l}{A} with A= \pi (b^2 - a^2) to account for the changing area with radius.
rupesh57272

Homework Statement

Determine the resistance of the insulation in a length l of coaxial cable.inner radius = a and outer radius= b.

Homework Equations

R=[itex]\rho[/itex][itex]\frac{l}{A}[/itex]
Area= [itex]\pi[/itex] [itex] (b^2 - a^2) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the area between the two concentric 'circle' with radius 'a' and 'b'.

Then I calculated R using the formula.

However I am not sure whether it is correct approach or not

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rupesh57272 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the resistance of the insulation in a length l of coaxial cable.inner radius = a and outer radius= b.

Homework Equations

R=[itex]\rho[/itex][itex]\frac{l}{A}[/itex]
Area= [itex]\pi[/itex] [itex] (b^2 - a^2) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the area between the two concentric 'circle' with radius 'a' and 'b'.

Then I calculated R using the formula.

However I am not sure whether it is correct approach or not

I believe you will need to do an integration instead. The value of A is changing with radius...

Likes 1 person

1. What is the purpose of insulation in coaxial cable?

The main purpose of insulation in coaxial cable is to prevent interference or loss of signal as the data travels through the cable. It also helps to protect the inner conductor from physical damage and environmental factors.

2. How does insulation affect the resistance of coaxial cable?

The insulation material used in coaxial cable can affect the overall resistance of the cable. High-quality insulation materials with low resistance can help to maintain signal integrity and reduce losses in the cable.

3. What factors can affect the resistance of insulation in coaxial cable?

The resistance of insulation in coaxial cable can be affected by factors such as the type and quality of the insulation material, the thickness of the insulation layer, and the temperature and environmental conditions in which the cable is used.

4. How is the resistance of insulation measured in coaxial cable?

The resistance of insulation in coaxial cable is typically measured using a multimeter. The two ends of the cable are connected to the multimeter, and the resistance is measured in ohms. This can give an indication of the quality and condition of the insulation.

5. What are some common signs of insulation failure in coaxial cable?

Some common signs of insulation failure in coaxial cable include loss of signal, distorted or weak signal, and physical damage to the cable's insulation layer. It is important to regularly check and maintain coaxial cable to prevent potential failure and ensure proper functioning.