1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonance frequency in an LCR circuit

1. May 16, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone!

I've been trying to derive the expression

w = sqrt( (1/(LC)) - (R_l^2 / L^2) )

where w is the resonace frequency, L is the inductance of the inductor, R_l is the resistance in the inductor, R is the resistance of the resistor and C is the capacitance of the capacitator.

for this circuit:

I'm not sure how to attack the problem and I can't find any good texts about it.
    I know how to do it in series circuits. I've been trying to do it in a correspondning way for this one but I can't quite do it.

Any help is appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Set up an expression for the complex impedance of the circuit (you can forget about the R since it doesn't affect the analysis). Find the omega for which the impedance of the capacitor in parallel with (series inductance + resistance) becomes a pure real number. At this point the reactive component disappears, the load is purely resistive and resonance is achieved.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?