1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonance Structures for a Certain Molecule

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    Please look at the pictures.

I do not understand why they have not included the resonance structure for that molecule for which all the double bonds are displaced is not included.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2
    Your structure in red is the first structure they drew. Are you referring to some other resonance structure?

4. May 28, 2014 #3
  5. May 28, 2014 #4
    I don't see any atoms changing in the first picture you uploaded, but I could be tired (or stupid). Are you perhaps referring to the pi electrons shifting within the ring? Technically they have shown ALL possible resonance structures with the dashed lines and partial charges in the first picture. If I am misinterpreting, please post a picture of what you believe the missing resonance structure is.

EDIT: I've looked closer at your first two pictures and now I see what you mean. Yes you are kind of correct, but so is the first picture due to inclusion of the bottom structure with the dashes (see my comments above).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted