Resources for reviewing Electrodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the overwhelming amount of content to be reviewed for an upcoming Physics exam that covers all undergraduate courses. The speaker suggests that using comprehensive textbooks may not be the most productive method for preparation. They inquire about suitable resources for reviewing electrodynamics, mentioning Griffiths' book as a good but wordy option. The other person recommends a free book by Bo Thide, which includes a problem set and links to other free online resources. They also mention Schaums Outlines as a previous option for practicing electrodynamics problems.
leo.
In two months I'm going to take one Physics exam which covers all the undergraduate courses and I must confess I feel quite overwhelmed by the amount of content that there is to be reviewed.

In truth I feel that for the purpose of preparing for one exame like this it is not really productive to pick comprehensive textbooks again and try just reading them.

In that case, concerning electrodynamics specifically, are there nice resources out there that would be suitable for a review like this?

When I took the electrodynamics course, the textbook used was Griffiths' book. It is a very good book, but IMHO it is quite wordy for a review.

So what would be good books, or lecture notes, videos, or any other kind of resources, that are suited for a review of undergraduate electrodynamics for one exam like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Years ago before online books, Schaums Outlines demonstrated a selection of electrodynamics problems, as well as QM and Theoretical Mechanics problems.

1. What are some reliable resources for reviewing Electrodynamics?

Some reliable resources for reviewing Electrodynamics include textbooks such as "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also have comprehensive lectures and practice problems for Electrodynamics.

2. Are there any free resources for reviewing Electrodynamics?

Yes, there are many free resources for reviewing Electrodynamics. As mentioned before, Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare are both free online platforms that offer lectures and practice problems for Electrodynamics. Additionally, many universities have open access course materials and lecture recordings available online.

3. What should I focus on when reviewing Electrodynamics?

When reviewing Electrodynamics, it is important to have a good understanding of vector calculus, specifically divergence, curl, and gradient operations. It is also crucial to understand Maxwell's equations and their applications, as well as concepts such as electric and magnetic fields, potential, and capacitance.

4. Are there any interactive resources for reviewing Electrodynamics?

Yes, there are several interactive resources for reviewing Electrodynamics. Websites such as PhET and Physlet Physics have simulations and animations that can help visualize and understand concepts in Electrodynamics. There are also many apps and software programs that offer interactive practice problems and simulations for Electrodynamics.

5. How can I effectively review Electrodynamics in a limited amount of time?

To effectively review Electrodynamics in a limited amount of time, it is important to prioritize the most important topics and concepts. Make a study plan and focus on understanding the fundamental principles rather than memorizing equations. Utilize practice problems and quizzes to test your understanding and identify areas that require more review. Also, consider seeking help from a tutor or study group for additional support and clarification.