Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resources for understanding haplotype blocks and linkage disequilibrium?

1. Nov 18, 2011 #1
    Does anyone know of any good resources online of where I can get clear and simple explanations on this subject? I don't want to read journal articles about this or want websites with heavy duty math since I don't have time to go through all of that right now in that kind of depth. I just want a simple website that explains the relationships between SNPs and haplotypes and how they can be used to make a genetic map based on their linkage disequilibrium. I am having an awful time trying to understand this how this works.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2011 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What don't you understand? Linkage equilibrium would mean the random association of genetic markers: if you'd know the state of one you don't know it of the other.

Linkage disequilibrium (LD) then means that by knowing the state of one marker, you can predict the state of the other. This could be because they are located next to each other on a chromosome (linked) or because the two markers interact together in another way.

Haplotypes are blocks of markers that are inherited together due to low recombination rates are called haplotype blocks. By determining a single marker (a SNP for instance), you can determine the state of the others on that block: LD. This is useful, because it reduces the amount of markers that need to be analyzed for a genetic map.

Does that make sense to you?

4. Nov 18, 2011 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  5. Nov 19, 2011 #4
    Here's another link that is pretty informative. About twenty minutes on that page should give you a pretty solid understanding:

http://www.genome.gov/10001665

6. Nov 21, 2011 #5
    Thanks for the responses. They helped me out quite a bit.

7. Dec 13, 2011 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook