Resources on non-spherical conductor surface charges

Hi all,
I know qualitatively that charges tend to concentrate on sharp edges of conducting surfaces. I have tried searching online for a mathematical treatment of such a phenomenon, but I cannot find anything that's quite rigorous. I'd appreciate it if someone could guide me towards such resources.
Thank you.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hi all,
I know qualitatively that charges tend to concentrate on sharp edges of conducting surfaces. I have tried searching online for a mathematical treatment of such a phenomenon, but I cannot find anything that's quite rigorous. I'd appreciate it if someone could guide me towards such resources.
Thank you.

Define "mathematical treatment".

If you want a plug-and-chug equation, there is no such thing. This is really a complex boundary-value problem involving finding the solution to Poisson's equation. Only the simplest and highly-symmetric cases will you find an analytical solution. Otherwise, you have to solve it numerically, typically using finite-element analysis.

Zz.

Likes BvU and vanhees71
Thanks for answering. I mean, are there any analytical methods to solve, or approximate a solution to Poisson's equation in these cases? Or at least show mathematically, that the charges tend to concentrate at the tip of a pointed surface?

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The textbook proof goes this way.
Consider two conducting spheres, with radii ##R_1## and ##R_2##, separated by a large distance ##r \gg R_1,R_2## but connected by a wire. The surfaces have the same electric potential.
If the total charge is ##Q_1+Q_2##, what are ##Q_1## and ##Q_2## (how must that total charge be distributed)?
See, e.g., https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_06.html#Ch6-S11