1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Response to a forced 2 DOF system

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    I have a forced 2 degree of freedom system that I am trying to find the steady state responses to. I have determined the two equations of motions and found the [m], [k], [c], and {f} matrixes.

However when i try to use eigen analysis ( q=phi'*[m]*phi ) I am unable to uncouple the two equation of motion to allow me to solve the system as two independ. single degree of freedom systems.

I believe I have correctly set up the EOMs... what other methods can I use to solve for the x and y steady state responses.

PS i am using matlab.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2
    What is your system? Are you sure it is possible to decouple the two equations?

-Kerry

4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    i guess it is impossible to uncouple the system (non symetric striffness matrix)... i think i figured it out by matrix inversion method

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook