1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resulting system of equations is not linearly independent

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve 2x''+3x'+40x = 40y+3y'

2. Relevant equations
    y = 0.05sin(10t)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the annihilator method to find the answer of x(t) = Acos(10t)+Bsin(10t)+Ce-0.75tcos(sqrt(311)/4t)+De-0.75tsin(sqrt(311)/4t) where A, B, C and D are constants.

The initial conditions were given as x(0)=0, x'(0)=0, x''(0)=0 and I used 2x''(0)+3x'(0)+40x(0) = 40y(0)+3y'(0) for the last one giving:

0 = A + C

0 = 10B - 0.75C + [sqrt(311)/4]D

0 = 100A +(151/8)C + 3[sqrt(311)/8]D

-160A+30B = 1.5

I know these are right because I double checked with matlab so I'm not really sure what's wrong, but as I said the set is not linearly independent.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean ##Ce^{-\frac 3 4 t}\cos(\frac{\sqrt {311}}{4}t)+De^{-\frac 3 4 t}\sin(\frac{\sqrt {311}}{4}t)## for the complementary solution ##y_c## part of that.

What isn't linearly independent? The two terms in ##y_c## certainly are.

4. Apr 16, 2015 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The given initial conditions are inconsistent. If you plug in the initial conditions on the lefthand side and set t=0 in the righthand side, you get 0 = 3/2.

The problem is overconstrained as well. If you were to use the method of underdetermined coefficients, you'd only have two undetermined constants, but you have three initial conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted