REU in experiment physics vs taking summer classes

In summary: It may also involve working with lasers, which can be exciting. If you have time, you can teach yourself programming or take a course in the future. Your undergraduate research experience does not dictate your career path.
xdrgnh
For this summer I have a chance to do a REU at my university that deals with Rubidium vapor. This is a experimental project but I want to go into theoretical physics. However I wouldn't mind doing this because I would learn about atomic physics and it would look good for grad school I believe to do a REU as a freshmen. However if I take this REU I won't be able to take any classes over the summer which will mean I'll need to take programming next summer. I have no programming experience. Do you think i should take Python this summer over applying for the REU. Obviously if I don't get in I'll just take classes over the summer but.

Physics news on Phys.org
One- is there a reason you need to take a class on Python and not just download a copy and check out one of the numerous "Python for Beginners" tutorials that are linked to on the Python webpage?

Two - what you do research-wise as an undergraduate does not mandate you must pursue it for the remainder of your professional life. Unless you really like it, of course.

Three - I'm guessing there are lasers involved in the research. How can you not be enthused about getting to fiddle around with lasers and call it work? :smile:

Easy, do the REU! Teach yourself the programming if you have time or if it's pressing.

Yeah, if you are choosing between a REU and a course in python, definitely do the REU! Programming is important to learn, but research experience will be much more valuable to you, both personally and professionally (i.e. it will look good on your resume / grad school application, etc.). Programming shouldn't be hard to pick up on your own.

And this:
Mike H said:
I'm guessing there are lasers involved in the research. How can you not be enthused about getting to fiddle around with lasers and call it work? :smile:
Lasers!

In terms of theoretical vs. experimental, don't worry about that yet. I spent a summer playing with lasers doing some experimental research, and now I'm doing computational chemistry, both as an undergraduate. You'll have plenty of time to be more specific later.

You can learn Python on your own in a month. You won't be an expert but you will be able to write medium size programs. You can't say that about the research
Take the REU

1. What is the difference between an REU in experimental physics and taking summer classes?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) in experimental physics involves working on a research project with a faculty member and other students in a laboratory setting. Summer classes, on the other hand, are traditional academic courses that cover a specific subject or topic. While both provide opportunities for learning, an REU allows for hands-on experience in conducting experiments and contributing to scientific research.

2. Which option is more beneficial for my career in physics?

It ultimately depends on your individual goals and interests. If you are considering a career in research, an REU can provide valuable experience and help you determine if it is the right path for you. If you are interested in pursuing a more traditional career in physics, taking summer classes can help you gain a deeper understanding of fundamental concepts and theories.

3. How do I find an REU program in experimental physics?

REU programs are typically advertised by universities and research institutions. You can also search for programs through websites such as the National Science Foundation's REU website or the American Physical Society's list of REU sites. It is important to apply early, as these programs can be competitive.

4. Can I receive academic credit for participating in an REU program?

Many universities will award academic credit for participation in an REU program, but this varies by institution. It is important to check with your academic advisor or department to see if this is an option for you. Even if credit is not offered, an REU experience can still be a valuable addition to your resume or graduate school application.

5. Are there any financial considerations for participating in an REU program?

Most REU programs provide a stipend to cover living expenses during the summer, and some may also cover travel costs. However, it is important to research the specific program you are interested in to determine if there are any associated costs or if you will need to secure your own housing. Additionally, some universities offer summer research grants or scholarships to help cover expenses for students participating in REU programs.