Reviewing elementary mathematics for physics major

In summary, the conversation is about a physics major seeking resources to review basic math courses. Suggestions include textbooks, subject-based help books, and online resources like Khan Academy. The speaker recommends using Screencast videos posted by a College Algebra/Trig professor, which cover an entire semester of PreCalculus classes. The best way to review is to watch each exam review and refer to specific videos for topics that are not remembered. The videos are available in different formats and can be sorted by name. However, access to PDF files and reviews may not be available for non-enrolled students.
atxjoe512
Hello,
I am a physics major and although I did exceedingly well in my basic math courses (algebra, pre-cal, etc.) I feel like I need a good review.

Does anyone have any suggestions of resources that I can tap into to do this?

I may end up going back over old textbooks but I was wondering if anyone had a better idea.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there are the usual suggestions (textbooks, subject-based help books like X for Dummies, Khan Academy, etc) but I've been reviewing using Screencast videos posted by my College Algebra/Trig professor. The Math 147 videos represent an entire semester of PreCalculus classes; 1 50~ minute video per day, 5 days a week for 16~ weeks.

I think the best way to do it is to watch each exam review (an overview of the topics covered on the coming exam) and see if you know everything. If you don't, go back and watch the video on that topic and move onto the next exam review. There are a lot of videos (naturally) and they're in different formats so that people can watch them no matter what system they're on.. so that is a little annoying.

If you sort by Name, at the top you'll see '08Exam1Review - Flash'. At the bottom you'll see 'PCExam2Review - Flash', 'PCExam3Review - Flash', etc. Like I said earlier if you run into something on the Review that you don't remember, check out a video like.. welll, say you didn't remember symmetry on Exam1Review you could watch '04PC2.4 - Flash'. I don't know how long they'll be up, as she has several courses to teach this summer and it's possible she'll delete them -- but the Spring course has been moved to a Summer folder so hopefully that means she's not deleting them (yet).

If you're interested the first review is at: http://www.screencast.com/users/mjroletto/folders/Math%20147%20Summer%202012%20Videos/media/be718add-b2bf-40d7-8a51-1e7153816901

The PreCalculus playlist: http://www.screencast.com/users/mjroletto/folders/Math%20147%20Summer%202012%20Videos

Her library: http://www.screencast.com/users/mjroletto
You can find College Algebra and Trigonometry playlists there as well, but everything in those courses + some stuff specific to PreCalc.

You won't have access to the PDF files, reviews, etc that enrolled students are.. but this should give you an idea of what you don't know. You can pause the video and work through the problem before she does.. that's what I do anyway. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of reviewing elementary mathematics for a physics major?

The purpose of reviewing elementary mathematics is to ensure a strong foundation for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts that are essential for studying physics. It also helps in developing critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.

2. What are the key topics that should be reviewed in elementary mathematics for a physics major?

The key topics include algebra, trigonometry, geometry, and calculus. These topics are fundamental in solving equations, graphing, and understanding the relationships between different variables in physics.

3. How much time should be spent on reviewing elementary mathematics for a physics major?

The amount of time spent on reviewing elementary mathematics will vary for each individual. However, it is recommended to spend at least 1-2 hours per day on reviewing and practicing mathematical concepts.

4. Can I skip reviewing elementary mathematics if I have a strong background in math?

It is not recommended to skip reviewing elementary mathematics even if you have a strong background in math. Understanding the basics is crucial for building a strong understanding of more complex mathematical concepts used in physics.

5. Are there any online resources available for reviewing elementary mathematics for a physics major?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and YouTube tutorials that provide comprehensive reviews of elementary mathematics. Additionally, many textbooks and practice problems are also available for self-study.