1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revolutions of and Electric Drill

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1

1. A variable speed electric drill motor turning at 100 rev/s is uniformly accelerated at 53.0 rev/s2 up to 210 rev/s. How many turns does it make in the process?

2. (Accel f - Accel) i x speed

3. I took 210 - 53 = 157 and multiplied that by 100 and that gave me 15,700 rev. This anser is incorrect. Please advise.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2
    Data we have: Initial angular velocity, acceleration, final angular velocity. We want angular displacement.

This problem is the rotational analogue of one we would use the for the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax.

Replace V with angular velocity, a with acceleration and solve for x. Since we are working in units of rev, no division by 2*pi will be necessary - the answer your calculator gives you will be the answer you want.
  4. Nov 5, 2008 #3

I got it! Thanks so much for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?