1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revolving regions horizontally and vertically

1. Mar 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question asks me to revolve the the region bounded by the graphs y=√X y=0 and x=3 around a) the line x=3 and then b) around the line x=6

2. Relevant equations

I know I am supposed to use the disk method or the washer method for this, which is ∏ ∫ R(y)^2-r(y)^2 from y=c to y=d.

3. The attempt at a solution

for a, I set up R(y)=y^2. I set up the integral from y=0 to y= √3 ∏ ∫(y^2)^2
    but when I plugged in the values I got 9.79 units cubed. In the back of my calculus book, however, it gives a different answer. I can't figure out what I did wrong.

For b, I set R(y)=6 and r(y)=(6-y^2). I set up the the integral from y=0 to y=√3
    ∏∫6^2-((6-y^2)^2)

I got an answer of 55.5 units cubed. Again, this was not the correct answer given to me in the back of my book.

I can't figure out what I did wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2014 #2
    For a, you don't quite have the correct value for the radius. R(y) = y2 is correct for the function, but remember that if you're revolving around x = 3, then the radius is going to be the distance between R(y) and 3.

For b, I think it's the same type of thing. The outer radius should be the distance between x = 6 and R(y), and the inner radius should be the distance between x = 6 and x = 3 (which is the inner boundary).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted