Rewrite Lagrangian's equation of motion as a 1st order difeq

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the motion of a hoop within a larger hoop without slipping. The equation of motion is found to be 0=gsinθ, which the expert believes to be trivial. The variables and equations used are not clearly stated, making it difficult to determine the system being solved for. The expert suggests starting from the beginning and showing the steps taken to solve the problem.
noon0788
I'm most of the way through this problem. I've already found the lagrangian equations of motion as a second order differential equation. I'm just stuck at the end...

Homework Statement

Derive a first order differential equation for the motion of a hoop in a bigger hoop.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the equation of motion to be:

0=g Sin(θ) + 3/2*R*Doubledot[θ]

I think a conserved quantity is angular momentum = 3/2*m*k2*Dot[θ]

How do I write θ as a first order difeq?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't state all your variables clearly and it is difficult for me to figure out what system you are solving for.

If you are correct and[itex]\frac{3}{2} m k^2 \dot{\theta}[/itex] is indeed a COM (I don't know what [itex]k[/itex] is since you did not state in your original question and I am going to assume that it does not vary with time), then: [itex]\ddot{\theta} = 0[/itex], which would reduce the EOM to just [itex] 0 = g \sin\theta[/itex].

Sorry, here's some clarification:

Basically, it's a hoop that's allowed to move in a larger fixed hoop without slipping.

k is the radius between the center of the free hoop and the bigger hoop that it's in. It does not vary with time.

If the EOM is 0=gsinθ, isn't that just trivial?

noon0788 said:
Sorry, here's some clarification:

Basically, it's a hoop that's allowed to move in a larger fixed hoop without slipping.

k is the radius between the center of the free hoop and the bigger hoop that it's in. It does not vary with time.
There is no such thing as the radius between two things? You mean the distance between the center of the two loops? And I suppose your [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle of the line that connects the two centers makes with the vertical? How did you eliminate the angular variable for the small loop? How did you apply the equation of constrain (which I think is what this problem is all about)? Why don't you start from the beginning and show us what you have done.

If the EOM is 0=gsinθ, isn't that just trivial?
That is why I think you are wrong.

The first step in rewriting the Lagrangian's equation of motion as a first order differential equation is to define a new variable, let's call it x, which represents the position of the hoop. Then, we can express the second derivative of θ as the first derivative of x, since the second derivative of x represents the acceleration of the hoop.

So, we can rewrite the equation of motion as:

0 = g Sin(θ) + 3/2*R*(d²x/dt²)

Next, we can use the chain rule to express the first derivative of x in terms of θ and its derivative:

dx/dt = R*Dot[θ]

Substituting this into the equation of motion, we get:

0 = g Sin(θ) + 3/2*R²*(d²θ/dt²)

Now, we can use the conserved quantity, angular momentum, to eliminate the second derivative of θ. Rearranging the equation, we get:

d²θ/dt² = -2*g Sin(θ)/(3*R)

This is now a first order differential equation for the motion of the hoop in a bigger hoop, with the variable θ as the dependent variable. We can also express this in terms of x, the position of the hoop, by using the chain rule again:

d²x/dt² = R*d²θ/dt² = -2*g*R*Sin(θ)/3

This is the final form of the first order differential equation for the motion of the hoop in a bigger hoop.

1. What is a Lagrangian and what is its equation of motion?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system. Its equation of motion is a second-order differential equation that determines the evolution of the system over time.

2. Why is it useful to rewrite the Lagrangian's equation of motion as a first-order differential equation?

Rewriting the equation as a first-order differential equation allows us to solve for the system's state variables at any given time, rather than just determining the overall evolution of the system. It also makes the equation more manageable and easier to solve.

3. How is the Lagrangian's equation of motion typically rewritten as a first-order differential equation?

The equation is typically rewritten by introducing a new set of variables, called "generalized coordinates," and their corresponding velocities. These variables are then used to create a set of coupled first-order differential equations that describe the system's motion.

4. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian mechanics over Newtonian mechanics?

One of the main advantages is that Lagrangian mechanics allows for a more elegant and concise formulation of a system's dynamics, which is especially useful for complex systems. It also simplifies the process of incorporating constraints into the equations of motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrangian mechanics?

One limitation is that it is only applicable to systems that can be described by a conservative force field. It also requires a good understanding of the system's geometry and its constraints in order to determine the appropriate generalized coordinates. In some cases, it may also be more computationally intensive than using Newtonian mechanics.