Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rewriting triple integrals e.g. dz dy dx -> dx dy dz

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    I'm having a tough time rewriting integrals from one form to another when the first integrand is not a function of two variables.

As an example, when writing the integral to find the volume of a tetrahedron, I can easily write all 6 versions of the integral based on z = 1 - x - y or some variant of that. When the first integral is a function of only one variable e.g. z = 1 - y2 things start to get hairy.

Here's an example of something I'm having problems with:

problem.png from dz dy dx to dx dy dz

My best guess so far is:

dx is x=0 -> y/2
    dy is y=0 -> [tex]\sqrt{z-1}[/tex]
    dz is z=0 -> 1

I'm not looking for just an answer to that problem...I'd like to know how to approach these. I drew the graph for the above equation, but didn't know what my limits for dx needed to be as the graph was hard to analyze. Is there an easy way in the case of tetrahedrons where you can take the starting equation of z=1-x-y and just remove the previous variable and solve for the one your integrating for?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted