Reynolds number calculation for undergraduate

In summary, at 20 knots the Reynolds number is 210087, at 40 knots it is 420175, at 60 knots it is 630263, and at 80 knots it is 8402350.
ra180
Calculate the Reynolds number at a location χ= 0.3m along the chord length of an aircraft wing at each of the following velocities;u= 20,40,60,80 and 100 knots. Assume International Standard Atmosphere (ISA) conditions for pressure and temperature. Take; R =287 J/KG;μ= 18 X10 -6 Kg/m s; 1 knot = 0.869 1mph= 1.61km/h

If someone could answer this in a step by step manor that would help me greatly. (I have been offered a retake for a mitigating circumstance at my University)

Physics news on Phys.org
As this reads as a homework question, as per the rules, you have to provide your work and attempt at a solution along with any figures or tables accompanying the question. Even if it isn't, if you want to learn the material, try it first then you'll find help here.

Thanks Travis can i post photos of calculations i have tried?

Of course you can do that, and we encourage you to do that.

Sorry guys I have been really busy here is my answer.

Assuming ISA P= 101325pa ,R= 287 J/kgk and T=288.15K

Convert knots into meters per second

(1) 20 knots= 10.29/ms, 40 knots =20.58m/s 60 knots= 30.87 m/s 100 knots =51.44 m/s

(2) Using the formula R= ρux/μ where (ρ= P/RT) (u= velocity in m/s-1) (x=0.3) and (μ= 18 x10-6)

(3) Final answer at 20 knots Reynolds number = 210088, 40 knots = 420175, 60 knots = 630263, 80 knots = 8402350, 100 knots = 1050233

Last edited:
Looks good to me, looking at the 20 knot answer. Note also that sometimes the Reynolds number over an airfoil will read as R=V*Xc / v where Xc is the location along the chord length and v is the kinematic viscosity, which is equal to μ/ρ.

Edit: though I think you have an extra 0 in the first one, that should be 210087.

What does this tell you about the boundary layer conditions at these locations?

Last edited:
Would you believe that is the next question should I start a new thread or continue posting here?

Last edited:

1. What is the Reynolds number?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid flow. It is used to classify the type of flow, whether it is laminar or turbulent.

2. How do you calculate the Reynolds number?

The Reynolds number can be calculated using the formula Re = ρVD/μ, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity, D is the characteristic length, and μ is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid.

3. What is the significance of the Reynolds number in undergraduate studies?

The Reynolds number is an important concept in undergraduate fluid mechanics courses as it helps to determine the type of flow and understand the behavior of fluids. It is also used in the design and analysis of various engineering systems, such as pipes, pumps, and aircraft wings.

4. What is the range of Reynolds number for laminar flow?

For fluids flowing in a pipe, the transition from laminar to turbulent flow occurs at a Reynolds number of approximately 2300. Therefore, for laminar flow, the Reynolds number is typically less than 2300.

5. How does the Reynolds number impact the drag force on an object?

The Reynolds number has a significant impact on the drag force experienced by an object moving through a fluid. In laminar flow, the drag force is directly proportional to the Reynolds number, while in turbulent flow, it is proportional to the square of the Reynolds number. This means that as the Reynolds number increases, the drag force also increases, making it more difficult for the object to move through the fluid.