Reynolds Number Extended Essay Ideas?

In summary, the person is planning their I.B extended essay on physics and has done research on Reynolds Number and its effects on flow. They are considering recreating the Reynolds experiment but are looking for other experiments to analyze. They also ask about software for simulation and receive recommendations for COMSOL's Multiphysics and CSC's Elmer.
Rayoubi

Homework Statement

At the moment, I am planning my I.B extended essay (last 2 years at school), and have chosen to do my EE on physics. I've done loads of background research about Reynolds Number and how it affects the type of flow present.
There is an experiment I can recreate (Reynolds experiment) where I change the speed of the water, and therefore Re and flow. However that alone is not EE worthy in terms of analysis.
Is there any other experiments I could do that could give me a set of results I could analyze that relates to Re?

Homework Equations

I was also wondering, is there software where I could recreate / model ideal results of the experiment i.e a simulation?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about doing a second experiment where I could drop different objects into several fluids and see how with difference in viscosity the flow around the objects change. Alternatively have the fluid pumped by the objects? But in both cases I can't see how I could get data I could analyze.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rayoubi said:

Homework Equations

I was also wondering, is there software where I could recreate / model ideal results of the experiment i.e a simulation?

If you want a very good (and insanely expensive) program, I recommend COMSOL's Multiphysics. However, for the monetarily impaired, CSC's Elmer is an open-source (free) alternative that is less intuitive than COMSOL's program.
Both require a good knowledge of CAD & Mesh generation, as well as the specific equations necessary to do the calculations (which can take minutes to days for calculations to complete, depending on the magnitude of the problem).

Hope this helps.

1. What is the Reynolds Number and why is it important in fluid dynamics?

The Reynolds Number is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid. It is an important parameter in fluid dynamics because it helps determine the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) and the overall behavior of the fluid.

2. How can the Reynolds Number be calculated?

The Reynolds Number can be calculated by dividing the product of the fluid's velocity, density, and characteristic length by its dynamic viscosity. The characteristic length can vary depending on the specific application, but it is typically the diameter or length of the object in the fluid flow.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Reynolds Number?

The Reynolds Number has many real-world applications, including aircraft and car design, hydraulic systems, and pipe flow. It is also used in the prediction of weather patterns and the study of blood flow in the human body.

4. How does changing the Reynolds Number affect fluid flow?

Changing the Reynolds Number can significantly affect fluid flow. At low Reynolds Numbers, the flow is typically laminar and smooth, while at high Reynolds Numbers, the flow becomes turbulent and chaotic. This change in flow behavior can impact factors such as drag and heat transfer.

5. What are some potential extended essay ideas related to the Reynolds Number?

Some potential extended essay ideas related to the Reynolds Number could include investigating the effects of varying Reynolds Numbers on the performance of different aircraft designs, analyzing the impact of the Reynolds Number on heat transfer in different types of fluids, or comparing the behavior of various fluids at different Reynolds Numbers.