RF Energy Harvesting Simulation

In summary: What frequency band(s) do you want to harvest energy from?The 2.4 GHz band. What is the physical size of your device and what is your planned antenna configuration?A USB dongle the size of a thumb drive. I have no idea about what field strengths are available in the areas where I want to do this RF energy harvesting. Do you have information about what field strengths are available in the areas where you want to do this RF energy harvesting?No. In summary, the OP wants to do RF energy harvesting simulation for the measurement of Power Conversion Efficiency. Can you suggest some ways to get started?
kn_patil
I want to do RF energy harvesting simulation for the measurement of Power Conversion Efficiency.
So how can be simulation done on a single platform?. Kindly suggest

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you say more about what you want to simulate? What types of simulation software do you have access to? SPICE, COMSOL, NEC (antenna simulations), others?

What frequency band(s) do you want to harvest energy from? What is the physical size of your device and what is your planned antenna configuration? Do you have information about what field strengths are available in the areas where you want to do this RF energy harvesting?

https://www.qsl.net/4nec2/

berkeman said:
ergy from? What is the physical size of your device
I want to use the 2.4 GHz band and the entire thing I want to do in simulation. I want to increase the power conversion efficiency. So which is a platform where I can do this

@berkeman asked you five questions. You answered one. If you answer the other four, you'll get better advice.

Likes davenn and berkeman
berkeman said:
Can you say more about what you want to simulate?
Exactly. A simulation package cannot define your problem; it can only work out results from a scenario you specify. The only 'simulation' that can exactly do your job would have to be one that was written by someone else who posed the self same question. Perhaps what the OP should be doing, to start with, is to estimate the level of energy that is wasted the then estimate the fraction of that energy that the 'harvesting' process could grab.

I always get grumpy about questions about Harvesting unless they are very specific. Say where you feel there is some 'spare energy' to be had from an existing process. If there is some spare energy then I would suggest that someone has not got an efficient design in the first place.

Likes russ_watters

Related to RF Energy Harvesting Simulation

1. What is RF energy harvesting simulation?

RF energy harvesting simulation is the process of using computer software to model and analyze the performance of a radio frequency (RF) energy harvesting system. This involves simulating the behavior of the system under different conditions to optimize its design and performance.

2. What are the benefits of using RF energy harvesting simulation?

RF energy harvesting simulation allows for a more efficient and cost-effective design of RF energy harvesting systems. It also helps to identify potential issues and optimize the system's performance before it is implemented in real life. Additionally, simulation can save time and resources compared to physical prototyping.

3. What factors are taken into account in RF energy harvesting simulation?

RF energy harvesting simulation takes into account various factors such as the frequency of the RF signal, the type and placement of the antenna, the efficiency of the energy conversion process, and the surrounding environment. Other factors may include the distance between the energy source and the harvesting device, as well as any interference or noise that may affect the system's performance.

4. What are some common software tools used for RF energy harvesting simulation?

Some commonly used software tools for RF energy harvesting simulation include ANSYS HFSS, CST Studio Suite, and COMSOL Multiphysics. These tools offer advanced simulation capabilities and allow for the analysis of complex RF energy harvesting systems.

5. How accurate are the results obtained from RF energy harvesting simulation?

The accuracy of the results obtained from RF energy harvesting simulation depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the system being simulated and the accuracy of the input parameters. However, with proper calibration and validation, simulation results can be highly accurate and can closely match real-world performance.