RF testing: Balistics Gel for human analog?

In summary, using a ballistics gel to simulate a users head and hands close to an antenna can be a accurate approximation. However, it is not meant for RF work and could potentially be unsafe.
fizz_it
I am designing an antenna for a consumer product. The consumer will be very close to the device. I have designed antennas for products like this many times before and have the proper equipment to do so. It's low power, meets all FCC regs for our band etc...

I am tired of doing the antenna design with my hand and head next to the equipment while I do all of the fiddling.

Has anybody ever used Balistics Gel with salt added to simulate a body parts in close proximity of an antenna (near field) in the 300 to 500MHz band?

I have used water balloons filled with salt water before to simulate a users head but in this case I have to have a hand holding the equipment

Anybody use anything else to do this type of work?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The safety levels for this have been established already and all you need to do is comply with them.

See the following
http://www.arrl.org/news/rfsafety/hbkrf.html
for some data on this or do a Google search for RF safety.

Ballistics gel is probably not suitable for this as it is not meant for RF work. You could contact the manufacturer and see if they have any suitable materials. This would only give you the heating effect of the RF, though, and not an indication of cell damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he's concerned with health effects in this case, only the effects on RF propagation, given the proximity of conductive stuff nearby.

Yes. Could be.

If he isn't concerned about safety at that frequency, though, he probably should be. Especially if he makes a habit of it.

fizz_it said:
I have used water balloons filled with salt water before to simulate a users head but in this case I have to have a hand holding the equipment
My first thought was to do a similar thing with latex gloves. You would probably have to use something fairly viscous so they would hold their shape however.

Berkeman nailed it - I'm not interested in the safety but rather reflections that are caused by the proximity of the head and hands to the device. So far a plastic bucket of water and a dash of table salt has proved to be a fair approximation of a head but the hand is now what I have to simulate

dlgoff - I like the latex glove idea. I'll give it try. I can probably cut up some soda straws to provide stiffness and the water will fill in around that. Then go with the gel

I'll just try the gel as it is simple to create

Thanks

1. What is RF testing for ballistic gel?

RF (radio frequency) testing for ballistic gel involves using radio waves to measure the properties of the gel, such as density and elasticity, in order to simulate the effects of a bullet passing through human tissue.

2. Why is ballistic gel used as a human analog in RF testing?

Ballistic gel is used as a human analog in RF testing because it closely mimics the physical properties of human tissue, making it an effective substitute for testing the effects of bullets on the human body.

3. How is RF testing with ballistic gel performed?

RF testing with ballistic gel is typically performed by using a specialized radar system to transmit radio waves through the gel and measuring the resulting reflections to determine its properties. The gel is often placed in a container that simulates the shape and density of human tissue.

4. What are the benefits of using ballistic gel in RF testing?

Using ballistic gel in RF testing allows for a more accurate simulation of the effects of bullets on human tissue, as it closely mimics the density and elasticity of human tissue. It also allows for more controlled and repeatable testing compared to using actual human subjects.

5. Are there any limitations to using ballistic gel in RF testing?

While ballistic gel is a useful human analog in RF testing, it is not a perfect representation of human tissue and may not fully capture all the complexities of the human body. Additionally, the results of RF testing may vary depending on the specific properties of the ballistic gel used.