RGB LEDs in series - turn Green on

In summary, the conversation is about using high-power RGB LEDs with common anode in series and switching between green and red colors separately. The proposed solution is to use 6 transistors, but the speaker is looking for a better option. They provide a hand-drawn schematic and ask for advice on the wiring and potential overheating issues.
meereck
Hello,
I have a high power RGB LED with common anode.
I want to have 3 of them in series, and put them on 15V power supply.
And I want to switch green color on, and red color as well (something like a normal traffic light)

Here is the problem:
Given that three LEDs are in series, and are common anode, how can I switch color separately?
I was thinking about placing 6 transistors between them (on cathode of each LED - e.g. 1LED= 2 transistors for each color). I assume P-channel MOSFET (i.e. IRF9250) can do the job?
However, this is quite bad solution, does anyone have anything better?

I hope I explained it well,
I will post a drawing later on.
Thank you in advance,
M.

Engineering news on Phys.org
here is the schema, sorry for making it by hand.
hopefully it is understandable.
All I want is to switch between all green and all red.

Attachments

• LED.jpg
    LED.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
All I want is to switch between all green and all red.

Why do you need six switches? You could connect the green LEDs in series to one switch at the ground, and likewise with the reds.

Thank you for the reply.
unfortunalely, that's can't be done since RGB LEDs are "common anode".
If I did what you suggest, green and red LEDs would light at the same time.
Dont forget that left and right diodes are in one package (denoted as slashed rectangle on the drawing), having common anode.
Or am I missing something?
Cheers

meereck said:
unfortunalely, that's can't be done since RGB LEDs are "common anode".

Never mind, I missed that. The next simplest option would be to go parallel. Tie all the anodes together and connect them to plus of the power supply. Then connect the greens together to a resistor and to the on/off switch and the ground. Same with the reds.

you are right, but the leds are high-power (current 0.4A) so the resistor would get hot pretty much.
What I tried to do is the following scheme. But T3 is getting very hot when the current 0.4A flows through it. T1 is ok - they both are connected in the same manner (at least i think).
Does anybody know what the problem is? I probably miss something. Are the transistors wired properly? The gate of the resistor is still on +15V. When I ground it, the transistor should switch on, am I right?

thanks in advance,
regards M.

Attachments

• P-mosfet.jpg
    P-mosfet.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 476
you might get some insight if you measure Vgs and Vds on each

1. How do I connect RGB LEDs in series to turn on the green color?

To connect RGB LEDs in series to turn on the green color, you will need to connect the positive (+) end of the first LED to the negative (-) end of the second LED, and then connect the positive end of the second LED to the negative end of the third LED. Finally, connect the positive end of the third LED to the negative end of the power source. This will create a series circuit, allowing the LEDs to share the same current and turn on the green color.

2. Can I use any type of RGB LED in a series circuit to turn on the green color?

Yes, you can use any type of RGB LED in a series circuit to turn on the green color. Just make sure that all the LEDs have the same forward voltage and current requirements to ensure they light up evenly.

3. How many RGB LEDs can I connect in series to turn on the green color?

The number of RGB LEDs you can connect in series to turn on the green color will depend on the voltage and current rating of your power source. Make sure to calculate the total forward voltage and current required for each LED and ensure that it does not exceed the ratings of your power source.

4. Can I connect RGB LEDs in series with other colors as well?

Yes, you can connect RGB LEDs in series with other colors as well. Just make sure to follow the same principle of connecting the positive end of one LED to the negative end of the next LED to create a series circuit.

5. Can I use a resistor in a series circuit with RGB LEDs to turn on the green color?

Yes, you can use a resistor in a series circuit with RGB LEDs to turn on the green color. This will help limit the current flowing through the LEDs and protect them from damage. Make sure to calculate the appropriate resistance value based on the voltage and current requirements of your LEDs and power source.