Ricco the Fruit Bat: Calm Down and Use the Cat Box

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary, the dog went out to pee and had a problem getting back home. The owner was going to have to find his leash to prevent him from going over the edge and possibly getting lost. If the dog goes over the edge, the owner can slide off the cliff to save him.
Astronuc said:
With or without the rum? :biggrin: Is he old enough to drink responsibly?
No rum for him, he's fiesty enough sober. Red Rum refers to him as "the mongrel". This was, of course, after the time the Fruit Bat punished me for coming home late by peeing on my wonderful goose down bed pillows. That dog knows how to get you where it really hurts. No pillow for me that night. :cry: When I screamed he hunkered down looking at me like "BRING IT ON!" and started growling when I approached him. Of course I just picked up his little stiffened growling butt and placed him in the hallway. :devil:

I'm afraid if he had any liquor in him the world would be his catbox. :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
We had an ice storm last night, actually we are still having an ice storm and he went outside this morning and was slipping and sliding with every step. He finally managed to hike his leg and toppled over. I wish I had a video of it.

:rofl: Poor thing.

Evo said:
No rum for him, he's fiesty enough sober. Red Rum refers to him as "the mongrel". This was, of course, after the time the Fruit Bat punished me for coming home late by peeing on my wonderful goose down bed pillows. That dog knows how to get you where it really hurts. No pillow for me that night. :cry: When I screamed he hunkered down looking at me like "BRING IT ON!" and started growling when I approached him. Of course I just picked up his little stiffened growling butt and placed him in the hallway. :devil:
Just mail him to me and I'll straighten him out.

He seems to have the personality of Percy the pomeranian. Percy was placed in the bedroom after he got too excited. After about 15 minutes or so, he proceeded to bump the door. Then he started thumping the door. Eventually he calmed down.

I was told to be careful because he would bite. But Percy came over to me and didn't bite, but rather sat calmly while I patted his side and rubbed his back. After dinner he came over and rolled on his back so I could rub his belly. Even when I picked him up and sat him in my lap, he was calm. Even with his face near mine.

And that was the first time I'd ever met the little guy.

Maybe if you get the Fruit Bat his own litter box, he'll take the hint. If he's as smart as you say, he should figure it out. Hate to see him get hurt or pee all over himself trying to navigate the "Bathroom on Ice", unless you can get Dorothy Hamill to walk him. :!)

turbo-1 said:
Maybe if you get the Fruit Bat his own litter box, he'll take the hint. If he's as smart as you say, he should figure it out. Hate to see him get hurt or pee all over himself trying to navigate the "Bathroom on Ice", unless you can get Dorothy Hamill to walk him. :!)
His main problem is that he doesn't weigh enough to sink into the snow and ice so he can't get a foothold. Perhaps if I put the catbox out on the ice and set him in it he will immediately grasp the advatages.

A friend had this same kind of canine.

Poor thing would get upset if people were quarreling with each other, he'd go crazy if someone hit or pretended to hit someone else. He'd actually walk right between them, barking at the top of his lungs, and try to stop the fight (and/or protect the weak from being beaten).

He loved some beer once a while; he'd slurp it in no time, then get very mellow.

Last edited:
Evo said:
No rum for him, he's fiesty enough sober. I'm afraid if he had any liquor in him the world would be his catbox. :eek:

Well, then if that was the case, then if you give him liquor, he will be afraid to relieve himself.

I'm sorry. I am so mean.

Evo said:
His main problem is that he doesn't weigh enough to sink into the snow and ice so he can't get a foothold. Perhaps if I put the catbox out on the ice and set him in it he will immediately grasp the advatages.

That might actually work. Or else start sending him out with cleats on his little paws.

Evo said:
Have you tried getting Dorothy ("I don't think we're in Kansas anymore") to walk F-B during the ice-storm? It seems like such a good fit.

Evo said:

No, he'll slide into the ravine in his cat box sled!

hypatia said:
OMG! I hadn't even thought of that!

hypatia said:

:rofl:! Um, perhaps it would be best to dig out a bit of snow for the cat box (or dog box) to sit inside so it doesn't slide away.

hypatia said:
Make sure the video camera is ready. Classic youtube stuff!

Seriously, one could tether the box or dog.

We use a 25 ft tether with our dog so she doesn't run off chasing something. We live on a busy street, and she's tried to take off after small animals, or she follows the scents in the yard.

I've got a 'smaller' dog---when it snows a lot, I'll go out and walk a path, shuffling my feet, to break a trail for her to walk in.

As far as the 'box' training, you have to catch the moment when they 'have to' go to pee, and confine them to the area that you're trying to train them to go in. The more often the better--they'll have to pee --it's just where you allow them to go.

When it snows, I get up early to shovel a path so the dog (Yorkie) can go on the grass.

If one lives close to a ravine, perhaps it would be prudent to put up a low fence of nylon mesh in the wintertime to preclude the dog sliding into the ravine.

Hey--Evo---have you found 'your' camera yet? A view of your 'Grand Canyon' would be interesting.

Astronuc said:
Make sure the video camera is ready. Classic youtube stuff!

Seriously, one could tether the box or dog.

We use a 25 ft tether with our dog so she doesn't run off chasing something. We live on a busy street, and she's tried to take off after small animals, or she follows the scents in the yard.

Use a bungie cord :rofl:. Please.

rewebster said:
Hey--Evo---have you found 'your' camera yet? A view of your 'Grand Canyon' would be interesting.
I moved it, or thought I did, but now i can't find it.

I do have my Italian ex-fiance's very nice camera which someday I will actually ship to him. Really.

I also have the Evo Child's video camera which has a film cassette jammed into it, I need to get it fixed.

So, you ARE alive. How are you feeling?

rewebster said:
I've got a 'smaller' dog---when it snows a lot, I'll go out and walk a path, shuffling my feet, to break a trail for her to walk in.
You forget to whom you are speaking. If I tried to create a path frm my patio, it would be from me careening into the CHASM OF DEATH.

Last edited:
Evo said:
You forget to whom you are speaking. If I tried to create a path frm my patio, it would be from me careening into the CHASM OF DEATH.
When you put it that way, I have to picture jagged rocks at the bottom of a precipice. Tell the truth, now - it's really the gully of mild concern, isn't it? :rolleyes: Is that why you "can't find" your camera? :devil: You'll be blaming your move for everything for at least another year or two.

turbo-1 said:
When you put it that way, I have to picture jagged rocks at the bottom of a precipice. Tell the truth, now - it's really the gully of mild concern, isn't it? :rolleyes: Is that why you "can't find" your camera? :devil: You'll be blaming your move for everything for at least another year or two.
:redface: Ok, so it's a slight slope to an edge of rocks at the edge of the craggy precipice (ok, so the boulders were placed at the edge to prevent erosion). It is a pretty straight drop down about 10 feet to the ground which then slopes again another 10-20 feet down to the creek (depending where you are). I've been known to get injured on perfectly flat land, this is a death trap for me. I'm trying to get the Evo Child over in the daylight so she can take a picture with her cell phone.

What about letting the little guy out the front door?

OK, is it something like -

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8308/moatel2.jpg

and I'm wondering, why did you pick a place at the edge of a cliff? :confused: Besides the view that is. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
What about letting the little guy out the front door?
He would much prefer the front, but the apartment I live in has a recessed entry and there is an apartment next to mine, there is a walkway between the units that reach our front doors, with nice landscaping (a dog's dream). I don't want the entry way to our doors saturated with dog pee. And do NOT expect me to get dressed up and take hime walking out in the front. In this weather I crack the back door open and let him run out into the backyard to do his thing, it's one of the reasons I chose the place I'm not walking the dog in freezing rain at 3am.

And do NOT expect me to get dressed up
No, I wouldn't expect you to get dressed . . . up. :biggrin:

But seriously, for as long as that is possible, I see your point about the neighbors and the desire to avoid using the front entry area.

Astronuc said:
OK, is it something like -

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8308/moatel2.jpg

and I'm wondering, why did you pick a place at the edge of a cliff? :confused: Besides the view that is. :biggrin:
It's more like a copse of trees down in an old stream bed. It runs several miles through an area which is now being heavily developed. Whoa, the stream is the "Blue River", it's just really narrow near my house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
It's more like a copse of trees down in an old stream bed. It runs several miles through an area which is now being heavily developed. Whoa, the stream is the "Blue River", it's just really narrow near my house.
As opposed to the "Moon River". :smile:

All you need now is a dam and hydropower station. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
As opposed to the "Moon River". :smile:

All you need now is a dam and hydropower station. :biggrin:
Sure, and you can add drowning to Evo's likely fractures and lacerations. If she were locked in an empty padded room, she'd find a way to injure herself.

Last edited:
Evo said:

It may have been tossed--(the bad dumpster bit)

Evo said:
I do have my Italian ex-fiance's very nice camera which someday I will actually ship to him. Really.

Does he really want it?---maybe he could give it to you as a parting gift (you had to look as far away as Italy for a mate??:bugeye:)

Evo said:
I also have the Evo Child's video camera which has a film cassette jammed into it, I need to get it fixed.
photos!--not video

Evo said:

yeah thanks--it went from the flu to a chest cold to a sinus--still have aches, headache, and ringing in the ears--the doc said, "and this too will pass"----alive?--there were three or four days where it felt like it didn't matter--couple people called during that time just to make sure I was--the kind of thing you wish on your enemies.

Evo said:
You forget to whom you are speaking. If I tried to create a path from my patio, it would be from me careening into the CHASM OF DEATH.

The path doesn't have to be a full, down to the edge of the 'Royal Gorge" round trip--just a little circle drive.

When the ground thaws, go to Home Depot and pick up some 4' grade stakes and a roll of green plastic mesh fencing molded with small squares and build the little rascal a "playpen" out back where he can do his stuff. All you'll need is a hammer to pound the stakes in the ground, some twine to fasten the mesh to the stakes, and a pair of pruning shears to trim the mesh to length. No power tools, no sharp edges if you can keep your fingers out of the shears - practically Evo-proof!

Evo said:

I was re-reading this thread, and maybe I haven't been 'down' here in the GD long enough to see any threads on this, but there has to be some other thread(s) about the 'Italian ex-fiance'----it can't be that long ago, if the camera is still in the USA--is (was) he part of the forum?---

rewebster said:
I was re-reading this thread, and maybe I haven't been 'down' here in the GD long enough to see any threads on this, but there has to be some other thread(s) about the 'Italian ex-fiance'----it can't be that long ago, if the camera is still in the USA--is (was) he part of the forum?---
I always just referred to him as my best friend in Italy. He became very depressed when his father died of cancer and we drifted apart. Actually, we never officially ended our engagement, but since we hardly talk to each other anymore, and since I never sent him his camera, I consider it over. :uhh:

Evo said:
I always just referred to him as my best friend in Italy. He became very depressed when his father died of cancer and we drifted apart. Actually, we never officially ended our engagement, but since we hardly talk to each other anymore, and since I never sent him his camera, I consider it over. :uhh:

Well, CONGRATULATIONS on your recent engagement---but sorry to hear that (it may be) over-----hey---after all the talk about NOT having a *whatever*----THERE was something at least--and it seems, not to long ago.

Did you meet him in Italy?

where are the threads on this *topic*?

Can someone post the links?

Last edited:
rewebster said:
Well, CONGRATULATIONS on your recent engagement---but sorry to hear that (it may be) over-----hey---after all the talk about NOT having a *whatever*----THERE was something at least--and it seems, not to long ago.

Did you meet him in Italy?
We got engaged about 10 years ago, and we started drifting apart at the time I became a member here. We met video conferencing, about 6 months later, I decided to meet him and flew to Italy, he proposed to me during that trip. He is one of the smartest, funniest people I've ever met.

Ok, this isn't a good picture of him, but it's all I have on this computer.

Attachments

• ac2a.jpg
    ac2a.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 341