Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riddle game - Something for you scientists

1. May 7, 2006 #1
    Riddle game - Something for you scientists :)

Hey guys!

I found this online riddle game. I figured people on this forum might like it. You need to be a good thinker to solve this baby.
    Just enter transylvania and try to find an answer to the riddle you get by looking at the given picture, reading the text, checking the source code, searching google etc.
    It's fun!

www.draculasriddle.co.uk
    (for some reason the author decided to put a piece of music in the background of the main page so for you with slow connection it might take a while to load)

Good luck!
    I'm currently on level 2, can't seem to get passed it. Let me know if you find something out!

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2006 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

Stuck on L2 also...

EDIT, I found a clue that says "bag zip"... I have no idea WTH that means

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  4. May 7, 2006 #3
    Where did you find this clue? :biggrin: Because I seem to be stuck on L2 as well.

5. May 7, 2006 #4
    ah bag.zip ;)

6. May 7, 2006 #5
    Sadly can never do any of these internet games, not geeky enough, they always involve knowledge of HTML or something, I like puzzles but when it goes PC nerd I go south. Ah level 8 oh bugger I need to know how to do what in the what in the where why?

Can someone for once put up an internet riddle where you don't have to have some knowledge of some obscure code or an ability with wierd out of the ordinary PC knowledge, just your brain and a search engine, even my technophobia can cope with that.:biggrin:

7. May 7, 2006 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

Bottom left-hand corner...flipped vertically

V spoilers V

bag.zip has 3 files....one of them an .xxx file extension...
    Message.txt says
    "not all letters in a word are important...
    Not All Letters In A Word Are Important..."

A Bag.txt says
    "The content of this Silk Bag seems to be usable somewhere in Sadam Woods.

--- What could be the correct extension for a decryption tool? ---"

Any ideas...?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2006
  8. May 7, 2006 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Spoiler
    I used vi to edit the file and it seems to be a truetype font file. The extension would be ttf.

Using a font editor the following letters are bolded. The rest are normal.

L, W, S, O, R, V, E, c, d, e, p, R, t, y

9. May 7, 2006 #8
    SPOILER

yeah i found this too.. hmm it says you're in the haunted forest of veros.. to me it seems the author is trying to tell us that that silk bag thing is not to be used here... hmm not all letters in a word are important... haha that's a stupid thing to say, i'm sure it means something :s

10. May 7, 2006 #9
    Theriver and that's it I'm not helping any more :smile: enter it not as an extension but before the extension useless words take the letters out of the first words.

Are yet the OK.

EDIT: Gale look at the words without are the yet, the first letters spell the river.

VVV posted after me, it's a red herring the bag thing.

11. May 7, 2006 #10
    SPOILER

Gosh, i thought the letter clue was easy, but i dunno how to read that file even though dduardo said what the extension is... i dunno how to change it..

anyway, they next level is theriver. its the first letters of the words on the page, but for some reason it skips some of the words.. i dunno. but now on to level three.

12. May 7, 2006 #11
    gale: hehe the text underneath.. we "ARE" "YET" "THE" useless words.
    it's a bit of a long shot..

13. May 7, 2006 #12

JamesU

Gold Member

thanks...I've been playing with words and stuff...now that I look at it...it' very obvious..

14. May 7, 2006 #13
    Can anybody make out the text in the bottom right of the picture? (on the river level) This laptop screen is pretty crappy.

15. May 7, 2006 #14

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

There was metadata in the file that said which editor the guy used. The program is called Font Creator 5.0. I had to use WINE to run it in Linux. Here is a screenshoot of the window:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2006
  16. May 7, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, you guys need to learn to type in gray if you're going to share spoilers. :rolleyes:

is gray.

17. May 7, 2006 #16
    woo, i'm cruisin, level four now.

18. May 7, 2006 #17

JamesU

Gold Member

I can't make it out....but I made a wild guess and put >> styx.htm and I got a page that said "learn about it"

19. May 7, 2006 #18
    i didn't even need the dumb extension thing, just common sense...

anyway, for the river level the word on the bottom right is lamentation.

20. May 7, 2006 #19

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Moonbear, I fixed all the posts.

21. May 7, 2006 #20
    okay i made it to 5.. this is going sweet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?