Riemann curvature tensor derivation

In summary, the Riemann tensor is a mathematical structure that is used to describe interactions between particles. It is defined using covariant derivative formulas and covariant vectors. Specifically, the Riemann tensor is1) given by ∇_k∇_jv_i-∇_j∇_kv_i={R^l}_{ijk}v_l2) can be written as ∂_av_b-{Γ^c}_{ab}v_c3) when substituted into the equation for the covariant derivative, ∂_aT_{bc}=∂_av_{bc}-{Γ^d}_{ac}
cozycoz
Riemann tensor is defined mathematically like this:
##∇_k∇_jv_i-∇_j∇_kv_i={R^l}_{ijk}v_l##

Using covariant derivative formula for covariant tensors and covariant vectors. which are

##∇_av_b=∂_av_b-{Γ^c}_{ab}v_c##
##∇_aT_{bc}=∂_av_{bc}-{Γ^d}_{ac}v_{db}-{Γ^d}_{ab}v_{dc} ##,

I got these:

##∇_k∇_jv_i=∂_k∂_jv_i-∂_k{Γ^m}_{ji}v_m-{Γ^m}_{ji}∂_kv_m-{Γ^l}_{ki}∂_lv_j+{Γ^l}_{ki}{Γ^m}_{lj}v_m-{Γ^l}_{kj}∂_lv_i+{Γ^l}_{kj}{Γ^m}_{li}v_m##(I'll call each term by its number : ##∂_k∂_jv_i## is "1" because it's the first term)

##∇_j∇_kv_i=∂_j∂_kv_i-∂_j{Γ^m}_{ki}v_m-{Γ^m}_{ki}∂_jv_m-{Γ^l}_{ji}∂_lv_k+{Γ^l}_{ji}{Γ^m}_{lk}v_m-{Γ^l}_{jk}∂_lv_i+{Γ^l}_{jk}{Γ^m}_{li}v_m##

Then 1, 3, 4, 6, 7 terms all vanish when we substract the lower from the upper' according to my professor.

Especially he noted that 3rd term vanishes because it's basically the same when you just exchange the indices j⇔k and add up all m's.
But then isn't it also the case for the second term?In 2nd
##∂_j{Γ^m}_{ki}v_m##
##∂_k{Γ^m}_{ji}v_m## ,

And in 3rd
##{Γ^m}_{ki}∂_jv_m##
##{Γ^m}_{ji}∂_kv_m##
(They are the same)​

I see no reason why I can't apply the logic for 3rd to 2nd...could you help me please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cozycoz said:
Riemann tensor is defined mathematically like this:
##∇_k∇_jv_i-∇_j∇_kv_i={R^l}_{ijk}v_l##

Using covariant derivative formula for covariant tensors and covariant vectors. which are

##∇_av_b=∂_av_b-{Γ^c}_{ab}v_c##
##∇_aT_{bc}=∂_av_{bc}-{Γ^d}_{ac}v_{db}-{Γ^d}_{ab}v_{dc} ##,
[..]
In 2nd
##∂_j{Γ^m}_{ki}v_m##
##∂_k{Γ^m}_{ji}v_m## ,

And in 3rd
##{Γ^m}_{ki}∂_jv_m##
##{Γ^m}_{ji}∂_kv_m##
(They are the same)​

I see no reason why I can't apply the logic for 3rd to 2nd...could you help me please

This ##∂_j{Γ^m}_{ki}v_m-∂_k{Γ^m}_{ji}v_m## can be written ##∂_{[j}{Γ^{|m|}}_{k]i}v_m## and the result depends on the swapping-symmetry of indexes ##k,j##. I can't see if ##j,k## are symmetric or not so I would write out all the components to check.

The square barcket "[" is an anti-symmetrization bracket (Bach bracket)

##V_{[\alpha \beta ]}=\frac{1}{2}\left ( V_{\alpha \beta }-V_{\beta \alpha } \right )##

see
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/95133/bracket-notation-on-tensor-indices

Last edited:
I think term 4 of upper equation be [tex]\Gamma^l_{\ ki}\partial_j v_l[/tex]. So term 3 + term 4 are symmetric for exchange of j and k. Thus when we subtract the lower from the upper they cancel. Please check it out and let me know please.

Last edited:
cozycoz said:
##∇_aT_{bc}=∂_av_{bc}-{Γ^d}_{ac}v_{db}-{Γ^d}_{ab}v_{dc} ##
I assume you are intending that ##T = v## here. If that’s the case, this formula would only hold if ##T_{bc}## is symmetric on ##b## and ##c##. You can see on the RHS the second term has the ##b## in v’s second spot, whereas on the LHS the ##b## is in the first spot. Since in this case, ##T_{bc} = \nabla_b v_c##, ##~## ##T## will in general not be symmetric, so your formula is incorrect. This error was transcribed into your equations, which is what @sweet springs pointed out.

Likes Orodruin and Mentz114
thanks it helped a lot..

1. What is the Riemann curvature tensor?

The Riemann curvature tensor is a mathematical object used to describe the curvature of a manifold in differential geometry. It is a four-dimensional tensor that encodes information about the curvature of a space.

2. How is the Riemann curvature tensor derived?

The Riemann curvature tensor is derived from the metric tensor, which describes the distance between points in a manifold. It involves taking derivatives of the metric tensor and using the Christoffel symbols, which are related to the curvature of the space.

3. What does the Riemann curvature tensor tell us about a space?

The Riemann curvature tensor provides information about the curvature of a space, including its shape and how it is curved in different directions. It is a fundamental tool in understanding the geometry of a manifold and is used in many areas of physics and mathematics.

4. How is the Riemann curvature tensor used in general relativity?

In general relativity, the Riemann curvature tensor is used to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. It is used in Einstein's field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy.

5. Can the Riemann curvature tensor be visualized?

While it is a mathematical object and cannot be directly visualized, the Riemann curvature tensor can be used to calculate quantities that can be visualized. For example, the Ricci curvature tensor, which is a contraction of the Riemann curvature tensor, can be used to describe the curvature of a two-dimensional surface and can be visualized using tools like Gaussian curvature maps.