Riemann Integrability Question

In summary, Riemann Integrability is a mathematical concept that determines whether a function is integrable. It involves dividing the function into smaller intervals and calculating the area under the curve of each interval. If the limit of these areas approaches a finite value as the intervals become smaller, then the function is considered Riemann Integrable. This concept is important in calculus and has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics.
"pi"mp
This isn't a homework question. My adviser has me studying basic analysis and has lately pushed me towards the following question:

"Let f be any continuous function. Can we prove that there exists a SEQUENCE of step functions that converges UNIFORMLY to f?"

I have noticed this idea is important to Riemann integrability but I can't seem to prove this. Or notice why the idea of uniform convergence is so key.

Any help? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Functions which are the uniform limit of step functions are usually called "regulated functions". The uniform limit is important as it allows us to define a non-ambiguous integral of such a function. We might not do the same for pointswize limits.

Not all Riemann integrable functions are regulated. Indeed, it is a theorem that the set of discontinuities of a regulated function is countable. It is also known that a function is Riemann integrable iff it's set of discontinuities has Lebesgue measure zero.

Now, the Cantor set C has Lebesgue measure zero, but is not countable. So the function

[tex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow \left\{\begin{array}{c} 1~\text{if}~x\in C\\ 0~\text{if}~x\notin C \end{array}\right.[/tex]

is Riemann integrable but not regulated.

Your question now asks whether a continuous function [itex]f:[a,b]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] is regulated. This is indeed the case.
A key point here is that f is uniform continuous. So we can determine for each epsilon a delta such that

[tex]|x-y|<2\delta~\Rightarrow~|f(x)-f(y)|<\epsilon[/tex]

Now, how do we approximate f by step functions. Well, let [itex][a,b]=[a,a+\delta]\cup [a+\delta,a+2\delta]\cup ...\cup [a+n\delta,b][/itex] be a "partition" such that each part has length [itex]<\delta[/itex]. Then we define

[tex]g(x)=g(a+k\delta)~\text{if}~x\in [a+k\delta,a+(k+1)\delta][/tex]

Then the uniform distance between g and f is smaller than epsilon.

I'll leave the details and verification to you!

Do not that basically all functions we need in our daily life will be regulated.

Last edited:
Micromass beat me to it :( But to add one small point to his post, it is important to note that the compactness of [a,b] is crucial.

micromass, why is it important that f itself be uniformly continuous? That wasn't one of the assumptions I was given. Shouldn't this work even if f itself is non-uniformly continuous? Thanks for your reply.

ah I think I answered my own question. It is because it is defined on a compact set, correct?

"pi"mp said:
ah I think I answered my own question. It is because it is defined on a compact set, correct?

Yes: continuous on a compact set is uniform continuous.

1. What is Riemann Integrability?

Riemann Integrability is a mathematical concept that refers to the ability to calculate the area under a curve using a method called the Riemann Sum. It is used to find the definite integral of a function over a given interval.

2. How do you determine if a function is Riemann Integrable?

A function is considered Riemann Integrable if it meets certain conditions, such as being bounded and having a finite number of discontinuities within the interval. It must also have a finite number of vertical asymptotes and be continuous everywhere except for a set of points with zero measure.

3. What is the difference between Riemann Integrability and Lebesgue Integrability?

The main difference between Riemann Integrability and Lebesgue Integrability is the approach used to calculate the integral. Riemann Integration uses the concept of partitions and Riemann Sums, while Lebesgue Integration uses the concept of measure theory and sets. Additionally, Lebesgue Integrability allows for a wider class of functions to be integrated.

4. Can all functions be Riemann Integrable?

No, not all functions are Riemann Integrable. For a function to be Riemann Integrable, it must meet certain conditions, as mentioned in question 2. Functions that are unbounded or have an infinite number of discontinuities within the interval are not considered Riemann Integrable.

5. What is the significance of Riemann Integrability in mathematics?

Riemann Integrability is a fundamental concept in calculus and mathematical analysis. It allows for the calculation of definite integrals, which have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. Additionally, Riemann Integrability is a key concept in the development of more advanced integration techniques, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.