Rigid body physics simulation math issue

In summary, the conversation discussed the issue of calculating the new positions and rotations of a leg in a physics simulation. The suggestion was to use a joint as a connecting point between the thigh and calf objects, with a corresponding pivot point in the diagram. This would allow for accurate calculations of the calf's position based on the thigh's rotation.
NotASmurf
Hey all, I'm making a physics simulation for training an algorithm of mine, I'm running into issues on the rigid body physics simulation. Let's say I have a leg composed of a calf and a thigh. gravity will be acting on both, and the calf is attached to the thigh, Any suggestions on how I would go about calculating the new thigh and calf positions and rotations? Any help appreciated.

leg.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need a connecting point like a joint so that as you rotate the thigh rectangle the joint rotates and/or changes position and then you use the joint's new position to calculate the position of the calf object.

So in your fig 1 diagram you need a red dot between to the two rectangles to represent the pivot point of the joint and you need a corresponding red dot in the fig 2 diagram.

they are connected, i just did not draw it in, sorry.

1. What is a rigid body physics simulation?

A rigid body physics simulation is a mathematical model used to simulate the motion and interactions of objects in a physical environment. It assumes that the objects are rigid, meaning they do not deform or change shape during the simulation.

2. What is the purpose of a rigid body physics simulation?

The purpose of a rigid body physics simulation is to accurately predict the behavior of objects in a physical environment, such as their movement, collisions, and interactions with other objects. This can be used in various fields, such as engineering, video game development, and animation.

3. What are the main equations used in rigid body physics simulations?

The main equations used in rigid body physics simulations are Newton's laws of motion, which describe the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the forces acting on it. Other equations, such as those for calculating velocity, momentum, and energy, are also used.

4. What are some common challenges in rigid body physics simulations?

Some common challenges in rigid body physics simulations include accurately representing the physical properties of objects, handling complex interactions between multiple objects, and dealing with numerical instability or errors in the simulation.

5. How can rigid body physics simulations be improved?

Rigid body physics simulations can be improved through the use of more advanced mathematical models, improved algorithms for handling complex interactions, and more accurate representation of real-world physical properties. Additionally, incorporating real-world data and testing the simulation against real-life scenarios can also improve its accuracy.