A rotating system of two point particles with inner torque

Lets say we have a system of two point particles (1. and 2.) which are rotating around an axis.
IMG_8329.jpg
What is written next in my physics course book is: The torque of a 2.body on the 1. body is M21=r1xF21 and the torque of the 1.body on the 2.body is M12=r2xF12. Understandable.
But how? There is no mention or suggestion that those two particles are attracted each other.

I don't understand why are we having inner torques in this example- we are dealing with a system: and it's normal that the inner forces cancel each other out based on the 3rd Newtons Law.
So why are we dealing with inner torques?

I think it's useless thinking about inner torques in the system: if we divide a rigid body to tiny pieces and we take them as point particles, the sum of inner torques is 0.

But the author is trying to derive a general equation for a rotating system of point particles and a rigid body. But he starts explaining the theory in such a confusing way that I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
But how? There is no mention or suggestion that those two particles are attracted each other.
Aren't the forces shown in the diagram enough of a suggestion?