Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigorous definition of continuity on an open vs closed interval

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    Let I be an open interval and f : I → ℝ is a function. How do you define "f is continuous on I" ?

would the following be sufficient? :

f is continuous on the open interval I=(a,b) if [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow}c[/itex] [itex]\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}[/itex] exists [itex]\forall[/itex] c[itex]\in[/itex] (a, b)

is this correct?

Also, what about the case of a closed interval I? In that case, can you just add to the above statement that:

[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow}a^{+}[/itex] f(x) = f(a)
    and
    [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow}b^{-}[/itex] f(x) = f(b)

???

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The definition you gave is for differentiability on an open interval. The definition for continuity is with delta and epsilon. The [ itex ] for lim looks like [itex] \displaystyle{\lim_{x\rightarrow a}} [/itex].

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3
    But differentiability implies continuity?
    Anyway, then would this be right:

f is continuous on the open interval I=(a,b) if |[itex]\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}[/itex] - f'(c)|< ε when |x-c|<δ [itex]\forall[/itex] c[itex]\in[/itex] (a, b)

and what about my use of the right and left hand limits for the case of a closed interval [a,b]? would that be correct?

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was referring to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_function Weierstrass epsilon-delta definition for continuity.

6. Dec 1, 2011 #5
    ohhhh nvm. it can be continuous on (a,b) but not differentiable, like the abs value of x.
    Ok then it would just be:
    f is continuous on (a,b) if [itex] \displaystyle{\lim_{x\rightarrow c}} [/itex] f(x) = f(c) [itex]\forall[/itex] c[itex]\in[/itex] (a, b)

right???

7. Dec 1, 2011 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but for that limit to make sense, you have to use the topology, that is compare values of f(x_1) and f(x_2) when x_1 and x_2 get arbitrarily close to each other. That's what the epsilon-delta definition does.

8. Dec 1, 2011 #7
    we didnt learn about topology yet so idk what is f(x_1) and the like...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook